Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Fairy Cakes


These are sweet little cupcakes with homemade royal icing. I love these... I have a feeling I will be making many many batches of these for my sweet baby Kathryn as the years go on. They just remind me of her... sweet and pretty.

I love Nigella Lawson and these little gems are from her cookbook " How to be a Domestic Goddess". I love her style of cooking and baking... a little of this, a little of that, and some more of this if you want..... that is soooo the way I cook. But Nigella seems to pull it off much more gracefully than I do!


I am very proud of these even though they were effortless. The cupcake batter is mixed up in a food processor and the icing is simple as can be. I am just impressed that I got it right... with the proper consistency and all... I even colored them! Such a kitchen pro...

Here is the Recipe
Nigella Lawson "How to be a Domestic Goddess"

Fairy Cakes

half cup unsalted butter, softened
half cup superfine sugar
2 large eggs
three-quarters cup self-rising cake flour
half teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons milk
12-cup muffin pan lined with 12 paper baking cups

Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

It couldn't be simpler to make fairy cakes: just put all the ingredients except for the milk in the food processor and then blitz till smooth. Pulse while adding milk down the funnel, to make for a soft, dropping consistency. I know it looks as if you'll never make this scant mixture fit 12 cupcake cups, but you will, so just spoon and scrape the stuff in, trying to fill each cup equally. Put in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the fairy cakes are cooked and golden on top. As soon as bearable, take the fairy cakes in their cases out of the tin and let cool on a wire rack.
I like my cherry-topped fairies to have a little pointy top, but for all floral and other artistic effects, darling, you need to start with a level base, so once they're cool, cut off any mounded peaks so that you've got a flat surface for icing.















Royal Icing

4 cups confectioners' (powdered or icing)
sugar
3 tablespoonsmeringue powder (can be found at stores that carry cake decorating supplies)
1/2 teaspoon extract (
vanilla, lemon, almond) (optional)
1/2 - 3/4 cup (120 - 180 ml) warm water

In bowl of electric mixer beat the confectioners sugar and meringue powder to combine. Add the water and beat at low to medium speed until desired consistency (about 5-7 minutes).
To keep icing soft and shiny add a few drops of glycerin. Color icing using gel pastes by dipping the tip of a toothpick into the food coloring and then mixing it into the icing.
The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container as royal icing hardens when exposed to air. Cover when not in use.
Makes about 3 cups

Comments on "Fairy Cakes"

 

Anonymous jtoepfert100 said ... (July 21, 2005 10:24 AM) : 

Those look fabulous!!! I'd be proud, too. I can't wait to get this book. Did you actually have self rising cake flour? I've never seen that.

 

Blogger Chan said ... (July 21, 2005 10:44 AM) : 

:) Thanks Jen! I THINK it was self rising cake flour.... come to think of it they were somewhat "deflated".. but they look that way in her book. I dont know.. I will check when I get home..
C

 

Blogger Cate said ... (July 22, 2005 6:58 AM) : 

Pretty cupcakes, Chandra! Cupcakes are a not-so-secret passion of mine. :)

 

Blogger Felicity said ... (July 23, 2005 4:53 PM) : 

These fairy cakes are gorgeous, and thanks for the recipe.
Self raising flour is very common in Australia (and I assume the UK as well) but I have no idea what it's called in the US! It's plain flour with a rising agent added.
Keep smiling
Felicity 8-)
http://cakedecoratinginfozone.blogspot.com

 

Blogger Chan said ... (July 24, 2005 7:48 AM) : 

well, i thought it was self rising cake four but NOOOOOO! that may explain whey they are so flat... but they are cute any way... and they taste sooo very good! the next time i use cake flour i will have to add a bit of baking powder...live and learn!

 

post a comment