Sunday, July 24, 2005

Leaving My Mark


Thumbprints. I haven't thought of those little cookies in so long. I was out and about today and came across some yummy sounding jams. Strawberry Rhubarb, CherryPlum and Cherry. So I bought them knowing that they deserved something more than just plain toast. I wanted to save the Cherry jam for a few Nigella recipes I want to try, but the other two were fair game. Then I thought of thumbprint cookies; they are such sweet little confections. And yes, I know they are insanely easy... but I have never made a decent cookie. Never. So.... I thought I would give it a whirl. I said a quick prayer to the cookies goddess and got busy. I really wanted these little babies to turn out well because I thought my itty bitty would like them. These cookies are so old fashioned and nostalgic and I really want my Kathryn growing up eating these. I found a recipe online that looked good.... brown sugar was included, along with pecans. Yummy.... these were going to be good. I began envisioning myself in here in the kitchen with a cute little festive apron on at Christmas time whipping up dozens of dozens of these little gems for friends and family and co workers and ..... SNAP OUT OF IT.... try and make them first!

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup margarine, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening

2 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups finely chopped pecans
jam or preserves

PREPARATION:Cream together brown sugar, margarine, and shortening; beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Beat egg white slightly; dip balls into egg white; roll in finely chopped pecans.

Place cookies about 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet; press thumb deeply in center of each. Bake until light brown, about 10 minutes. Immediately remove from cookie sheet; cool thoroughly. Fill thumbprints with jam or preserves.

Makes 5 to 6 dozen thumbprint cookies (not in this household...)

Well... I have to say... I did it. They are good and actually resemble a cookie. The jams are delicious. I especially love the cherryplum... yum! I also made some with Orange Marmalade and the Strawberry Rhubarb. Kathryn loves them... the orange ones are her favorite.
They are nice and sweet but not send you into a diabetic coma sweet. They are a nice break from all the powdered sugar icings I have made lately.... I swear my dentist is going to kill me when I go in for a check up.
They have a pecan sandy quality to them... they crumble easily, so we just try and eat the whole cookie in one bite. No muss no fuss... and no talking.


I am so proud.... I have made two desserts in the past week that came out okay... Wow. I may get the hang of this after all....

Comments on "Leaving My Mark"

 

Blogger Cate said ... (July 25, 2005 7:12 AM) : 

I use Barefoot Contessa's recipe for Jam Thumbprints ... so delicious, so buttery and most importantly, so easy. Yours look great!

 

Anonymous Stephenie W said ... (July 25, 2005 8:08 AM) : 

HOORAY! So glad they turned out -they look delicious. Can't wait to see what you try next... keep up the kitchen experiments!
Are we going to be your guinea pigs at the beach? Hope so... I've been collecting some summer cocktail recipes I'd like to try, especially a watermelon margarita.

 

Blogger mapipi nafarai said ... (July 26, 2005 11:00 AM) : 

They look yummy. Am drooling!!!!

 

post a comment