Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Raspberries Broke My Heart

This was going to be good. I had a plan. I had all the ingredients, I had free time, I was alone in the house..... me, some good music (sirius 26) and fresh lemons. I was ready. Today was the day that I would conquer buttercream. Today was the day that I would level a cake and make a beautiful and sound layer cake. Today was the day I would combine pale yellow frosting with the sinful contrast of a ruby raspberry. Today, though, the raspberry broke my heart.



Everything went as planned. The cake was beautiful and perfect... not dry. A delicious light lemon flavor with a lovely sweetness to it. The frosting.... ahhhh the frosting. Today it was PERFECT... light, creamy, spreadable. It had a fabulous taste, although I now have 2 new cavities, with sweetness cut in with tangy lemon on the end. I built the cake, frosted it and admired.
I wish I had taken a picture... it was lovely. Then an idea.... raspberries. Yes, I have raspberries in the fridge. The need to be used.... use them, Chan, use them. No, the cake looks fabulous like it is...... but a bit plain. Okay, yeah, raspberries will look good.

Damn them. They RUINED my beautiful cake. THE cake.. the only cake I have made that looked and tasted good all at the same time. These things dont happen often, here in this kitchen.
I have to say that I am a bit down about it. I thought I might take it to a friend for a belated birthday cake..... but not now. No way.
It looks like a bloody accident. And I dont mean that in the British way... it really looks like a BLOODY accident.

Here is the recipe... It's from the Magnolia Bakery cookbook.
JUST DON'T, FOR GOD'S SAKE, PUT RASPBERRIES ON IT......

Lemon Layer Cake

1 cup(2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 ½ cups self rising flour
1 ¼ cups cake flour
¾ cup milk
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease and lightly flour three 9x2 cake pans, then line the bottoms with waxed paper.
In large bowl, on medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Gradually add the sugar and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time. Combine the flours and add in four parts, alternating with the milk, lemon juice and lemon zest. Beat well after each addition. Divide the batter among the pans and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks. When cake has cooled, spread the icing evenly between the layers and on top of cake. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT PUT
RASPBERRIES ON TOP AS DECORATION.

Lemon Buttercream

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft
8 cups confectioners’ sugar
½ cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest

Combine butter, 4 cups of sugar, lemon juice and zest in bowl of mixer. Beat until smooth. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until icing is thick enough to spread. May add few drops of yellow food coloring. Use and store at room temperature.




Comments on "Raspberries Broke My Heart"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 20, 2005 8:20 AM) : 

Whole, FRESH raspberries.

 

Blogger Chan said ... (July 20, 2005 9:14 AM) : 

yes, whole FRESH raspberries...

 

Anonymous chefzhat said ... (July 20, 2005 9:51 AM) : 

This cake looks so yummy!

Re: raspberries. Rinse and drain well, lay out on paper towels and let air dry for a fair amount of time. Transfer to dry towel, blot. Install on cake! No dribbles!

I'm enjoying your blog!
Chefzhat (debie)

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (July 20, 2005 11:24 AM) : 

Looks like rasberry rivers...delicious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 21, 2005 6:56 AM) : 

Where did the red juice come from, then?

 

Blogger Chan said ... (July 21, 2005 10:15 AM) : 

I mixed the reapberries with sugar... I am guessing the sugar drew out some of the juices.... such a pity.

 

post a comment