Friday, July 22, 2005

Red Velvet with That Slow Southern Style...

Red velvet and that little boy smile. Red velvet with that slow southern style. A new religion that'll bring you to your knees. Red velvet if you please.

Yep... Red Velvet Cheesecake. You didn't think you could get away with not seeing one on this site did you?? I am from Alabama, ya know. But the funny thing is, that the closest I have ever come to Red Velvet Cake was when Ousia cut the butt end off the armadillo grooms cake at Shelby and Jackson's wedding and served it to Drum. I have never had a piece of RV cake... ever. My mom doesn't make it, I don't have any decrepit aunts that make it.... I have never been a wedding where they served it. Hmmmm... how southern is it?

My friend Heather sent me an email and ask me to create a Red Velvet Cheesecake. I wasn't so sure. I just couldn't see a RED cheesecake... but she assured me it would work. So I got busy on a recipe for her.... And I figured I could enter it in the contest I have been working on. Soooo I HAD to bake it in a 9x13 pan.... I am REALLY starting to hate cheesecakes baked this way. I mean, it's just not a cheesecake in a 9x13 pan. A cheesecake is SUPPOSED to be in a springform so it can rise and be beautiful. I think I would have liked this red cheesecake much better in a springform pan. That way the red center could contrast beautifully with the white cream cheese topping and you would really be able to see it... But in a 9x13.. it just looks like any ol' regular frosted cake. Until you cut into it... then the blood red center comes spilling out and moment of shock comes over you and you wonder if everything is okay. It does have the classic devil's food taste, chocolately and smooth; and the cream cheese topping garnished with chopped pecans is delicious. It does all blend well together in your mouth... but then you look in the mirror and your teeth are stained red. I just cant get into the red food coloring. It makes it seem "cheap" to me. Like a novelty. I just don't dig it....

I think I need to take one of the eggs out of the recipe. The texture was too dense. I like cheesecakes that have a lightness to them.... I need to start adding whipped egg whites to the mix, instead of all whole eggs. I also got the classic center crack in this one.... .I mean it just wouldn't be a cheesecake from my kitchen without a crack you can live in... I think I may patent that idea.... Because I am sure other chef's are out there trying like hell to perfect a cracked cheesecake.... HA... I have got it!

Comments on "Red Velvet with That Slow Southern Style..."

 

Blogger Erika said ... (July 23, 2005 2:25 PM) : 

Oh my, it looks good anyway! I am enjoying reading your blog and your cooking adventures. I hope you come up with a winning cheesecake!

MrsWaz

 

Anonymous Kelli said ... (July 28, 2005 7:07 PM) : 

Red velvet cheesecake is such a great idea!! I will have to try making this one, it looks beautiful.

 

Anonymous Zara said ... (August 15, 2005 5:14 AM) : 

Red velvet cake always weirded me out. I mean - red colouring?

I like my cheesecakes less dense and fluffier too - so I use a mixture of ricotta and mascapone (as well as a bit of cream cheese for some weight so it's not too airy-fairy) so it's not so heavy all up - as well as whipping egg whites into peaks before folding it into the mixture.

 

Blogger Sublime Chef said ... (December 27, 2007 6:37 AM) : 

I am the Executive Chef for Sublime Pies and Cakes. I have made lots and lots and lots of cheesecakes! The crack used to be a signature of mine as well until I learned how to defeat it.

Instead of baking the cake completely, cook until it has a small jiggle in the middle. Then, turn off the oven and leave the cake for 30 minutes. This allows the cake to settle similar to a souffle'. Crack the oven door for 15 more minutes. The pan should be cool enough to touch gently.

It takes some time, but it is well worth the wait. I bake approx. 25 cakes at a time, and haven't seen a crack in years. Of course, there was the one repair man, but that certainly wasn't my fault!

 

Anonymous un sex shop said ... (September 24, 2011 4:44 AM) : 

Oh my god, there's a lot of useful info in this post!

 

Anonymous www.muebles-en-valencia.es said ... (October 10, 2011 12:01 PM) : 

This won't truly have success, I think this way.

 

post a comment