Saturday, July 16, 2005

William Hung and Me

So some very interesting things transpired yesterday. I recieved a call from the producer lady from the new Martha Stewart TV show. Yeah... freaking out. I am still freaking out. But the hilarious thing is that they are interested in me for the America's Worst Cook show... ... I think my desserts have made an impression! My pie crust is QUITE disasterious... when I make it from scratch. Well, even if I make it from a box it is still too thin and looks ugly. Everything I make looks ugly. Maybe I will get on the show and Martha will show me how to make PRETTY desserts. The only thing I have made that was pretty was the Tres Leche Cake but we all know that it tasted like cardboard and strawberries.... mmmmmm yum. So here is the deal... if it's ugly, it taste devine; if it is pretty, it takes on a crap quality. You can't have them both.... not in this household! You can't be pretty AND smart.... come on now, give the rest of us something!

I was talking to some of the girls on the Cooking Light website (addicted to them!) and I had the realization that OH MY GOD... I AM THE WILLIAM HUNG OF COOKING. " She bangs, she bangs..."
I want so badly to be a gourmet but end up as a possible guest on the America's Worst Cook show! But like some of the girls pointed out.... ol' William has made quite a name for himself from being the worst singer in the universe....Somthing has to be said for misguided confidence!
On that note let me tell you about the Elvis (love you mr. cheesecake) Cheesecake I made last night. I made this lovely recipe up sooooo I am really happy that it didn't explode in the oven and that it somewhat resembles an actucal cheesecake.....

It started with 3 VERY ripe bananas and one cup of sour cream blended well. Next came 3 blocks of cream cheese, again blended well..... until smooth. 5 eggs need to go in, one at a time, blending until incorporated. Dump in 1/2 cup sugar ( although I think it could stand a full cup) and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix until all is incorporated.

OH.. The Crust... eeek... do this first. One box of Nabisco chocolate wafers with
1/2 cup melter butter... mix and press into springform pan. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. THEN mix the batter.....

Pour the batter into the baked crust and melt some peanut butter in the microwave, until creamy and smooth. Dollop spoonfuls of peanut butter onto
top of batter and cut in with a knife. Then "sling" thin ribbons of peanut butter on top for visual effect. Bake at 350 for about an hour... or until sides are set and the middle jiggles a bit (kinda like me...)when tapped with a spoon. Let this cool in the overn with the heat OFF for about 30 minutes. Wrap and store in fridge for 12 hours so all the flavors can fully develop and combine.....

Now I do believe this will be a delicious cheesecake. Why do I think that? Well because it is ugly... There are cracks on the top you could drive a truck through and the crust is uneven and I have a horrible feeling it is stuck to the bottom of the pan.....

Comments on "William Hung and Me"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 16, 2005 12:10 PM) : 

Chan, I think you can eliminate the cracking in your cheesecake if you put the cake in a water bath in the oven. you need to wrap foil around the outside of your springform pan, and find another pan that it will fit in comfortably. Fill with water about 1/2 way up the side of the springform pan, and bake the regular amount of time. I have tried this several times, and it works wonderfully.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 16, 2005 8:52 PM) : 

if you're serious about winning the cheesecake contest, you should keep your good ideas a secret. go ahead and post all the nasty ideas you can think of, but don't let some contest-obsessed person steal your good ones!

 

Blogger Chan said ... (July 17, 2005 6:32 AM) : 

you're RIGHT!!
ahem... the banana peanut butter cheesecake was DEVINE! mmmmmm yum.

 

post a comment