Tuesday, July 26, 2005

You Like Me! You Really Really Like Me!



I have been tagged for a meme!! I am so excited about it..... I feel honored!! I wasn't really sure what meme stood for... I thought it mighe be some sort of computer language that people used.. like DH (for husband) DD (for daughter) LOL (laughing out loud) IMHO ( in my humble opinion) and so on.... BUT I looked it up and here was the definition I found : An idea that, like a gene, can replicate and evolve. Pretty neat... and now that I look back at it .. that is exactly what it is.... For those who don't blog that read this, the meme is passed from one blogger to another. It is a list of questions that you answer and if you feel inclined you can add one yourself.... I have read on many blogs the meme that is floating around and thought it was cool, but I had no idea I would be asked to participate! I really do feel honored!!

Robyn from the The Food Chronicles tagged me for this....
Thanks Robyn!!

Here is my meme...

What is your first memory of baking/cooking on your own?
I remember as a child I was always concocting some crazy recipe. I don’t remember a specific recipe that I tried.... I just always remember trying to come up with some crazy idea that would be the next big thing... but I was that way with everything, not just cooking. I really started cooking in collage... My friend Stephenie would come to Florence from Birmingham and we would cook these “elaborate” dinners. Festival of Berries, Stephie!

Who had the most influence on your cooking?
Of course my mother is an insane southern cook. She makes homemade buttermilk biscuits that will leave you begging for more. Her cornbread is PHENOMINAL... Everything she cooks is so very good. I have very deep roots in southern cooking... and I am pretty good at savory dishes.... it is the desserts that kill me. I am currently being influenced by Nigella Lawson... I love the way she cooks and her attitude towards food. She is so easy and natural in the kitchen.

Do you have an old photo as "evidence" of an early exposure to the culinary world and would you like to share it?
Here is a photo of me dangerously close to cupcakes....


And of course.... with cake.




Mageiricophobia - do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?
All desserts..... Pie Crust in particular.

What would be your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest letdown?
My KitchenAid mixer is my most prized possession. I am so very proud of her and have already used her a lot! My wonderful and handsome husband bought her for me and I one day hope to pass her down to Kathryn, well worn of course!

My biggest disappointment would have to be a new Senseo Coffeemaker.... it’s loud and you can only use those little pods and if you don’t get them in juuuusssst right water squirts out everywhere.... the coffee is fabulous but it is almost too much of a hassle.


Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like and probably no one else.
I love love love my momma’s cornbread and fresh tomatoes mashed up together in sort of a cornbread/tomato salad... so delicious.

What are the three eatables or dishes you simply don't want to live without?
Olives, Sourdough Bread and Sweet Tea... Does tea count??

Favorite ice cream: Rum raisin

You will never eat: Hot Dogs... gag.

Signature dish: Homemade Chicken and Dumplins

On average, how many times a week would you cook something to satisfy your sweet tooth?
Oh hmmmm..... everyday! But not to satisfy my sweet tooth... I don’t ever really eat these desserts. I try them, but I don’t just munch on them. I am really just trying to learn how to make good pastry, cookies, cakes and icings!

What do you usually eat for breakfast?
Coffee Coffee Coffee.....

What are your stand-by dinner options when you don't have the time or the inclination to follow or create a new recipe?
My husband makes the most fabulous tacos and rice... so I ask him very nicely to make those!

What would you like to cook someday that you haven't tried before?
A tart..... and I will be trying my hand at that soon. I just got two vintage Williams&Sonoma tart tins in the mail today... off ebay.

Sweet or savory. We all lean to one or the other, where do you lean?
It really depends on the time of day.... I honestly don’t really have much of a sweet tooth. I never have. So, I guess savory, which is hilarious since this blog deals with only desserts!


So there it is.... my very first meme.... :) I am going to tag The Cupcake Queen from 52 cupcakes. I think that is a neat little blog and I love the idea

Comments on "You Like Me! You Really Really Like Me!"

 

Blogger chronicler said ... (July 26, 2005 5:39 PM) : 

Woohoo! Chandra, great meme! Your signature dish is C&D??? My mo-in-law makes very good C&D. She makes strip dumplings that are dunked right in the liquid and chicken. They are amazing. Unfortunately, no one can replicate them and we're worried the recipe will die with her because she's a southern cook and never measures anything. Any tips would be very welcome!

 

Blogger Chan said ... (July 26, 2005 7:46 PM) : 

Hey there Robyn!
I made my dumplins in strips as well... I make buttermilk biscuit dough, then roll it out and cut it into strips. My dumplins go right into the liquid as well... and the flour off of them makes a FABULOUS gravy. Oh they are sooooo good. But unfortunatly it is too hot to make them. That is what I make only when it is cool and rainy! I wish I could give you exact measurements... but like your mother in law it is all in my head and I dont have any of it written out,.... The next time I make them I will try and measure it all out...
Glad you like the meme...
I really was so excited when you tagged me!!
Chan

 

Blogger violet said ... (July 27, 2005 5:25 PM) : 

hi, chandra. i've been reading your blog for awhile now. i love it. your pictures, your child. beautiful. most beautiful... those thumbprint cookies. yum. nice meme.

 

post a comment