Thursday, August 11, 2005

I Scream, You Scream....




WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM!! I am usually not a HUGE ice cream kinda gal..I mean a spoonful here and there is cool, but I don't ever just sit down with a bowl of ice cream and go to town. I also don't cry tears of sorrow into pints of rocky road..... never have. We use to have a Baskin Robbins over here close to our house and I did like going there. Raspberry Sherbert.... ahhhhh. I loved Raspberry Shebert.
When I turned 16 my dad wouldn't allow me to drive into "town".... I could only drive out in the county and to school and back. Well.... Baskin Robbins was JUST inside the city limits... and a month or so after I turned 16 I got a severe hankering for some RS. Meredith Corlew and I piled up in the 1986 red prelude and headed out to Baskin Robbins. On the way back we were sure we had gotten away with it when BAM!!...... I rearended a red Sunbird. The guy had just gotten the stupid car and I totaled it for him..... My dad had to come and get me and he was NOT happy... at all. He really became furious when he looked in the car and there in the floorboard set a drippy cone of Raspberry Sherbert... He reminds me of that often. Quite often, actucally......

We had a celebratory dinner tonight to celebrate my getting a new job... I am really excited and am VERY ready for the change... Anyhow my husband grilled delicious chicken and I made a neat little ice cream pie that is featured in this month's Cooking Light. The Malt Shop Ice Cream Pie....
It was so very simple to make, but it does take a bit of time. I didn't get started on it early enough and it could have stood being a bit more frozen but it was still delicious. The crushed cone crust is neat and kinda like a novelty.... it makes it fun and kid like to me... My daughter loved it. Well, we all loved it... Have fun with the toppings, they really make this pie!

Here is the recipe.
12 Sugar Cones, crushed
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons butter, melted

1 cup low fat vanilla ice cream
1 cup low fat strawberry ice cream
1 cup strawberry sunday topping
1/4 cup malted milk

Combine first 3 ingredients and press into 9 inch pie plate. Place in freezer for 30 minutes or until firm. Place softened strawberry ice cream into a mixing bowl with half the malted milk and blend until smooth.... pour into firm crust. Freeze for 30 minutes. Spread with strawberry topping. Place softened vanilla ice cream into mixing bowl with other half of malted milk and blend until smooth.... pour on top of frozen strawberry ice cream and topping. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours.....
To slice warm a knife in warm water and slice pie, cleaning knife and rewarming after each slice. Top pie slices with chocolate sauce, pecans, bananas, cherries and whipped cream... whatever floats your boat....

Comments on "I Scream, You Scream...."

 

Blogger Jen said ... (August 12, 2005 9:19 AM) : 

Congrats on the new job! What is it? I made one of those ice cream pies for hubby's birthday (the Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana one). I thought it was ho hum but hubby LOVED it. Sure was a snap to make, too.

 

Blogger freckleface said ... (August 17, 2005 11:59 AM) : 

That pie looks yummy. I spy a pecan in one of those pictures. Was that just one of your own editions? If so, how did you add it?

 

Blogger Chan said ... (August 17, 2005 3:51 PM) : 

hey there freckleface :)
I added pecan sunday topping to the top of the pie after it was sliced... yum
chan

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (January 28, 2006 1:17 PM) : 

Do you think this can be made days ahead of time, or do you think that the cone crust would become stale?

 

post a comment