Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Margaritas and Empanadas

Well.... I am home. No more tan than when I left. I may be a little whiter to be honest.... but I had a good time. I slept in REALLY late everyday and shopped and shopped and shopped.... and looked at the beach when we would drive by. The beach is pretty in the rain!

My girlfriends came down on Thursday and we all had a fabulous time. We have all been friends since middle school and have stayed in touch all this time.... It is always so nice to be with all of them!

My lovely friend Stephenie made these really good Watermelon Margaritas. She has had this recipe in her head for some time and was really excited about making them. They were SOOOOO delicious. They reminded us of Watermelon Jolly Rancher candies..... remember those?? She did it all and I only made one small contribution.... SIMPLE SYRUP. I made a ridiculously big deal out of putting simple syrup in there that finally she said "FINE CHAN.... put in the damn simple syrup!!" And all was right in my world again.


Here is the beautiful recipe she came up with....
3 cups watermelon, cubed and frozen
1 cup ice cubes
2 oz Cointreau
4 oz Tequila
½ cup lime margarita mix or lime juice
½ cup Simple Syrup

Makes 4 big margaritas

When I got home from the beach my mother in law had made some delicious Pumpkin Empanadas... I was hoping to learn the recipe she uses because I have tried empanada dough before and it didnt turn out at all.... My very handsome Mexican husband thinks it is weird that I try and make savory empanadas.... he says he has only had them the way his mother makes them, which is sweet. Anyways, I came home to a HUGE bowl of gorgeous tanned empanadas. They are so very good.... She makes some sort of pumpkin filling to go in them that has a bit of spice to it. The next time I go to San Antonio I hope she will teach me....

I have to get back to baking today!! I have missed it terribly! It is Sugar High Friday week this week and the theme is Coffee.... I have to get on the ball and get something made .... soon!!!

Comments on "Margaritas and Empanadas"

 

Anonymous mary said ... (August 10, 2005 6:27 AM) : 

Empanadas, now that is a labor of love. I learned to make these from my MIL 25 yrs ago but I have still not perfected them. The edges always want to pop open with mine. If you perfect this recipe I would love to know how you do it. Now I reserve this labor of love for Christmas only. My MIL filled hers with apple. Maybe I will research a few new recipes for the pastry.

 

Blogger Texas Chef said ... (August 11, 2005 12:08 PM) : 

My wife makes over 100 empanadas per month. I believe I have her recipe.

http://texas-chef.blogspot.com/

 

Blogger Chan said ... (August 11, 2005 2:27 PM) : 

holy moly texas chef!! 100 a month?? what types does she make??
please please please send me her recipe!!
chan

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (August 11, 2005 10:05 PM) : 

ohmigoodness..empanadas!! how I luv thee..I'm dying, absolutely dying for a good recipe..I've never tried them with a sweet filling..that definitely sounds like a delicious thought =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 25, 2005 1:40 AM) : 

Okay, your mission in life is to get this pumpkin empanada recipe -- and share it! I have made savory sweet potato empanadas and chicken empanadas that looked great, but I couldn't taste them (I can't eat butter and I didn't have any trans fat-free margarine handy). I have a thing for the dumpling-type food....

 

post a comment