Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Wake Me Up Before You Go Go....

I know, I know!! Now you are going to have that George Michael song in your head all daaaayyyy loooooonnnnnng!! I have been singing it every since I heard the Sugar High Friday theme for this month was COFFEE!! I love cafe, but I am a simple girl when it comes to all the accouchements that go along with coffee. I like my coffee strong with sugar and a bit of plain cream. That's it..... no vanilla, no Irish cream and no creme brulee creamer (Heather!) . Just plain coffee.... and I can drink it only until about 11am then it is on to sweet tea.


I was excited about this SHF, because it is my first one to participate in and also because I have not used coffee in a dessert yet. I thought about a cheesecake, but I am cheesecaked out. Then I found a recipe for a Deep Chocolate Torte with Mocha Buttercream Frosting... but that sounded insane and couldn't wrap my head around it.... then I found THE recipe. Jolt Cake. Apparently this is a New Orleans classic, but I wouldn't know since I have never been there.... But the description described this cake as intense and not for the faint of heart.... I was IN!! This is my kind of cake!!
I have to say the recipe was a simple one.... It took me about 30 minutes to whip it up and get it in the oven.... I brewed my coffee (EXTRA EXTRA STRONG) about an hour before and let it cool a bit, but I don't think that is necessary. Also on the coffee, I couldn't find espresso at the crappy grocery store closest to my house but they did have a coffee/chicory blend that I thought would suffice, and it did. I also didn't have any orange extract, so I used the next best thing.... RUM.
This is a very strong cake. It is flourless with 16 oz of chocolate and a cup of strong coffee...... get my drift here?? It is very good and only takes a few bites to satisfy. It has a very creamy and custard like inside that is very moist and buttery.

Here is the recipe....

Jolt Cake
Gourmet
November 1989

Trust me, this cake is NOT for the faint of heart. It is basically a flourless chocolate cake with a
New Orleans twist. The flavors of both chocolate and coffee are intense. New Orleans is, after all, an intense city.

4 sticks (2 cups) unsalted butter
1 cup brewed espresso
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon orange extract

2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
8 large eggs, beaten lightly

In a small saucepan melt the butter over moderately low heat, stir in the espresso, sugar, zest, orange extract and Grand Marnier, and transfer the mixture to a bowl. In the top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water melt the semisweet chocolate and the unsweetened chocolate, stirring occasionally. Stir the chocolates into the butter mixture and add the eggs, stirring until the mixture is just combined.
Line the bottom of a buttered 9-inch cake pan, 2 inches deep, with parchment paper and butter the paper. Spoon the batter into the pan, put the pan in a baking dish, and add enough hot water to the dish to reach halfway up the side of the pan. Bake the cake in the middle of a preheated 350-degree oven for 1 hour.
Remove the cake from the water bath and let it cool on a rack, and chill it, covered loosely, for 3 hours.Run a thin knife around the inside of the pan and dip the bottom of the pan in hot water for 3 seconds. Invert a platter over the pan, invert the cake with a sharp rap onto the platter, and cut it with a sharp knife dipped in hot water, cleaning the knife before cutting each slice.

Comments on "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go...."

 

Anonymous jtoepfert100 said ... (August 10, 2005 11:56 AM) : 

Welcome back! Alright, what the heck is Sugar High Friday?

 

Blogger Chan said ... (August 10, 2005 1:30 PM) : 

Hey Jen!!
Sugar High Friday is hosted every month by a different food blogger. The host pickes the date and the theme and all food bloggers make a dessert that month that goes along with the theme. It is really neat... The Domestic Goddess started it a while back... here is her site: http://www.domesticgoddess.ca/
Scroll down an bit on her homepage and you will see the SHF bar on the left..
Cheers!
Chan

 

Blogger Punky said ... (August 10, 2005 3:00 PM) : 

That cake looks great. I think I know a few people who would gobble it right up. Might be just the cake for my diet since I don't like coffee, glory of cooking without the guilt of consuming the final product.

 

Blogger violet said ... (August 10, 2005 10:22 PM) : 

oh i love the texture of a flourless cake and that one looks absolutely divine. i absolutely must try this recipe. i love that you substituted rum for orange extract. thats too funny. my kind of girl!

 

Anonymous joey said ... (August 11, 2005 8:40 AM) : 

That looks absolutely decadent! I love coffee, chocolate, AND rum...so you can imagine, a cake after my own heart...gotta try this!

 

Blogger Eddie said ... (August 11, 2005 11:50 AM) : 

Didn't George Michael have some ugly hair. Jjjjaaaajjjajaaaj jitterbug. JJJJajaaaja jittberbug.

Wham, ouch I'm old.

 

Blogger Randi said ... (August 13, 2005 8:48 PM) : 

omg, that looks to die for. Lots of butter too, yummy.

 

Blogger celia kusinera said ... (August 15, 2005 3:47 AM) : 

That does look intense with 16 ounces of choc, 2 cups of butter, and 8 eggs! wow pow-wow!

 

Blogger Ruth said ... (August 15, 2005 9:29 AM) : 

Love the look of the cake and your writing style as well.

Can't wait to give it a try.

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (August 15, 2005 1:15 PM) : 

Everywhere I go today, I'm seeing gooey, yummy chocolate cakes! Sooo tempting! Ben at Ben Bakes A Cake made one and Sweetnicks too.

 

Blogger Fanny said ... (August 15, 2005 1:42 PM) : 

Never heard about Jolt cake before, but ill definitly try this one.
Love
Fanny

 

Blogger boo_licious said ... (August 15, 2005 8:56 PM) : 

Jolt cake sounds and looks yummilicously gooey. Quite an appropriate name I thought since it will definitely wake up anyone for any go-go.

 

Blogger becky said ... (August 17, 2005 1:54 PM) : 

wow. flourless chocolate cake taken to a whole 'nother level. I'm just now catching up on this month's SHF posts. I love your site!

 

Anonymous keiko said ... (August 18, 2005 1:22 AM) : 

Hi Chandra - this cake looks/sounds irresistible... and I love my coffee plain too ;) (what is creme brulee creamer?)

 

Blogger chanit said ... (August 23, 2005 1:29 PM) : 

Love your blog (everything !)

Chanit from Israel :-)

 

post a comment