Saturday, October 08, 2005

Cajeta and Angelfood


I haven't had much time lately to devote to hardcore desserts like tarts, or layer cakes with homemade frosting.... but dinner just isn't dinner without dessert these days. So I have been on the look out for delicious sounding desserts that don't take half a day to make.
Last night my husband made delicious carne asada, Mexican rice, boracho beans, and tortillas... it was sooooo delicious! My family came over to eat with us.... we all love it when he cooks!! So I was in charge of dessert... as usual! I wanted to do something easy and quick and something NOT FLAN.... I have a great Mexican cookbook that I picked up during one of our visits to San Antonio called Los Barrios, A Family Cookbook. I have yet to make anything out of this cookbook... I feel a bit intimidated. Art's mother is such a wonderful cook... and believe me, I cannot compete with her homemade Mexican cooking! So I really don't even try! But I figured I would give a dessert a try...
I found a simple and delicious sounding recipe called Mango-Cajeta Angelfood Cake. The angelfood cake was store bought and the cajeta was as well... so nothing here is from scratch....
It was really delicious. I substituted strawberries for the mango because the mango I bought was not good... no taste what so ever. Such a shame that produce is as bad as it is in supermarkets. Anyhow the strawberries were a delightful partner with the cream caramel sauce and the walnuts. I think it would even be good with some great homemade chunky applesauce.

Here is the recipe....give it a whirl on your next Taco Night. It is so easy and quick... but doesn't taste that way at all!

Mango Cajeta Anglefood Cake

3/4 cup milk
2 cups cajeta or caramel sauce
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 prepared anglefood cake
2 cups diced mango or strawberries

Bring the milk to a boil in a large saucepan. Add in the cajeta, condensed milk, and walnuts. Stir until smooth and well mixed. Remove from heat.

Slice the angelfood cake and place on dessert plates. Spoon the sauce over the cake and top with mangos or strawberries.

Comments on "Cajeta and Angelfood"

 

Blogger Mona said ... (October 08, 2005 11:01 AM) : 

Chan, found your site off of somethin so clever. I really enjoy the pictures of your site, no wonder it's a featured blog she loves!

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (October 08, 2005 9:25 PM) : 

Yay - A Convert!! :D haha

Beautiful pictures as always Chan!

 

Blogger Cate said ... (October 11, 2005 2:24 PM) : 

Looks delicious!

 

Blogger Cade said ... (October 12, 2005 6:05 PM) : 

Wow, it sounds like your family had an amazing dinner. Living in Southwest New Mexico, I have never had nor heard of borracho beans. The name is pretty funny, though (drunk beans). It motivated me to look up a recipe for them online.

Chan, your desserts always look so heavenly. Oh, and I'll take strawberries over mangos any day.

 

post a comment