Saturday, October 01, 2005

The Holy (Brownie) Grail....



Listen. I have tried and tried and tried all the brownies out there.... I have made them from a box, I have made them from a bag, I have made the from scratch and I have made them after a good shag.... and still I have not found THE brownie. How can something so simple and common be so elusive? I made the ArtPark brownies from Ruth Reichel's Tender at the Bone a week or so back and had very high hopes for them. Hmmmm..... I think maybe a half of one was eaten. It seems that brownies have a way of making it in to the hands of evil.... everyone thinks "I'll just make some brownies..." and we all end of having to eat chocolate flavored cardboard.... and sometimes the evil doer will try and FROST the brownie. What is this? Why do people do that? Aghk!


Brownies can easily become coingly sweet and are always cut too large. I do not want half the pan at one sitting... a nice
little 3 bite morsel to savor and cherish is what it should be about. Chocolate should lick the tounge ever so delicately... not give you the smackdown. And yes, I think nuts should be involved in a brownie... a nice little crunch in the middle of a fudgy center.

I want a meaningful brownie... and this my friends, is it.

Nigella' s Brownies

1 2/3 cup soft unsalted butter
13 ounces of very fine chocolate
6 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350. Line your brownie pan (13x9") with parchment paper. This is a little extra step but makes the brownie a breeze to get out of the pan....

Melt the butter and chocolate together over medium-low heat. Let this cool a bit after melting. Mix together the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Measure the
flour into another bowl along with the salt.


Mix together the cooled chocoalte/butter mixture and the eggs/sugar mixture. Add in the nuts. Mix in the flour and beat to combine smoothly and scrape into lined pan.

Bake for 25 minutes and be vigilant. Brownies can go from delish to dry in about 2 minutes.... They will continue to cook a bit as they cool....

Comments on "The Holy (Brownie) Grail...."

 

Blogger T said ... (October 01, 2005 6:53 PM) : 

Those are amazing looking brownies! Finding THE brownie is hard- I have one that I like, but I havent found THE brownie yet...this is on my list of recipes to try.

 

Blogger Punky said ... (October 02, 2005 6:38 AM) : 

Does that really say 1 2/3 C butter and 6 eggs? That has to be a good brownie. They do look wonderful though, congrats on finding "your" brownie.

 

Blogger Chan said ... (October 02, 2005 6:57 AM) : 

Yep Punky.... 6 eggs and alot of butter!!
:)
My thighs quiver in fear.....

 

Blogger Nic said ... (October 02, 2005 7:11 AM) : 

Chan, you describe the brownies so well that I don't know if I could handle eating something that good. Hmm, maybe I'll make some and find out.

 

Blogger Erika said ... (October 02, 2005 7:41 AM) : 

Those brownies look great!

You've been tagged for the 23/5 Meme! Check out my blog for details!

 

Blogger Alysha said ... (October 02, 2005 11:24 AM) : 

I've been on a similar search, but have yet to find my perfect brownie - but I think I'm close! Nigella's brownies look really good, but probably a bit fudgier than what I'm looking for (if I've become an accurate judge of ingredients). Glad you found yours!

 

Blogger obachan said ... (October 03, 2005 7:39 AM) : 

It was a big mistake that I came here at 11:35 pm (our time). Now what should I do with my craving...? Ahhh...

 

Anonymous Sandra said ... (October 04, 2005 9:13 AM) : 

Wow...those brownies look great. Can't wait to try them! What brand / type of chocolate is used?

 

Anonymous chocolatefiend said ... (October 04, 2005 12:04 PM) : 

Ah, I have the same question as Sandra sort of. I want to know if I should be using bittersweet, semisweet or unsweetened (or a mix) and if you had any prefered cocoa percentage.
When in doubt I head for the 70% bittersweet but I figured I'd ask before diving in.
Thanks for sharing!

 

Blogger Chan said ... (October 04, 2005 5:58 PM) : 

I used Scharffen Berger Bittersweet for the brownies. mmmmmmmmmm yum.
But I think any fine chocolate would work... as long as it is bittersweet...

 

Anonymous Krispy said ... (October 11, 2005 11:16 AM) : 

I made these over the weekend, and ..gasp.. I'm not sure they are the best brownies I've tried.

I'm not sure if I cooked them too long, but they were a bit cakey.. not as dense as I would have hoped.

Anyone else made them?

 

Anonymous normyk said ... (October 11, 2005 8:14 PM) : 

I just finished them a couple of hours ago and I used El Rey chocolate. Very dense. More moist than cakey. The taste is very different than box brownies. I can taste actual chocolate. I might back off on the nuts a little next time and I have a crazy idea involving a little instant espresso that I want to try.
Overall excellent. Thank you so much Chandra!

 

Blogger Chan said ... (October 16, 2005 8:36 AM) : 

Hey there Krispy..
These really do have to be watched carefully. I baked them EXACTLY 25 minutes.. not a minute more or less...Brownies can really go from yum to yuck in a matter of minutes. I think that was always the problem I had ( and I am sure other people as well) when baking brownies... I just thought of them as a simple little treat that would forgive me if I left them in the oven a few minutes too long... but the truth is, they are not as forgiving as we all would like to think! :) I am sorry they didnt work out for you!
Let me know what recipe is YOUR brownie recipe!!
Cheers...
Chan

 

Anonymous Lindsey said ... (October 24, 2005 9:49 AM) : 

I made these over the weekend and was really pleased with the results. I actually did cook mine longer than 25 minutes. I think it was 35 minutes before the top began to look crispy. But they were lovely and fudgy. Great recipe and good call on the parchment.

 

Anonymous Krispy said ... (October 25, 2005 5:33 AM) : 

Chan,

At the 25 minute mark, they looked somewhat done on the outside of the pan, but the centre of the pan was still very liquidly.

Could be that my oven's thermostat isn't up to scratch.

After hearing what everyone else is saying.. I think that I just might try again ;)

/m

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 30, 2007 8:28 PM) : 

Hello Chandra

I baked for 25 mnts. But i found that the centre was very fudgy. So baked again for 5 mnts. But it was still fudgy in the centre and I was not able to cut the brownie properly. Where did i go wrong? But the taste was too good. Thanks.

Vidhya

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (August 24, 2007 8:17 AM) : 

Just made these, nice consistency but mine are too salty, oh dear. Also, I prefer a more intense chocolatey flavour.

 

Anonymous Lily said ... (November 03, 2007 6:35 PM) : 

I followed this recipe exactly, and made beautiful BEAUTIFUL brownies. Definitely a good option for quick, simple and immenselt, orgasmically satisfying brownies. Thanks!

 

Anonymous Grace said ... (February 03, 2008 1:45 PM) : 

I made these in the UK all the time, you're right that they're the best out there -- though after rave reviews from coworkers, I eventually branched out to 1/3 of the vanilla, a bit of good peppermint essence, and then a handful of chocolate morsels. And that combination sent people through the roof -- I can't wait to try something with morsels and cherries.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (October 25, 2013 5:11 PM) : 

I love the looks of these brownies.
I have noticed and no, I'm no saint or English teacher but there are a few misspellings plus proof reading goofs so when the person asks if the measurements written are correct I wondered also. I don't want to dive into something that isn't correct.
I will attempt these and I'll post back when time allows.
Thanks for gorg pictures :)

 

post a comment