Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Rain Drops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens


" These are a few of my favorite things....."

I got the idea to do a favorites list from 101 Cookbooks. Her site is incredibly beautiful and her photography is amazing. I have been thinking of creating a list like this ever since I saw hers.... so here is mine. These are the things I use daily in the kitchen ....


Nigella Measuring Cups

My husband bought the blue set for me for my birthday and I loved them so much I bought the white set off eBay. Unfortunately I dropped the 1/4 cup blue one and it chipped but I still use it for measuring dry ingredients. I love the simplicity of these and the are so sweet to look at. I have several of Nigella's kitchen pieces and I love all of them.


Parchment Paper

I am a recent convert to parchment paper. I use whenever I bake. Nothing sticks to this stuff... nothing. I don't ever have to grease a baking sheet these days. I have had this particular roll for a few months now and it just keeps going and going and going..... I purchased mine from Williams Sonoma, but I am sure you can get it anywhere.

Nigella Canisters

These two large bellied beauties house my sugar and flour. Those little doors of theirs are opened several times each day. They are simple, functional and beautiful to look at. And my husband gave them to me so that makes them even sweeter.

Measuring Spoons

I love measuring spoons. I am always looking for sleek beautiful spoons. I use several of the little silver spoons Kathryn received when she was born as teaspoons and half teaspoons. I also have a set of the Nigella measuring spoons that are just gorgeous. When they all hang together it looks like a little piece of sculpture.

Chef'n Spatulas

I have several Chef'n spatulas along with one spatula/tablespoon combo. I love them. I look for them all the time at discount stores like Marshalls or Tuesday Morning. They always have a few of these lurking around in the kitchen section. These particular spatulas feel really good in my hand and they are double ended for large or small pots. The bend and flex beautifully and resist stains. I want them all in every size and color!

Nielsen Massey Vanilla

You just can't beat this vanilla for the price. The vanilla flavor is clean,pure and not too over powering. For a long time I used Mexican vanilla and the strength and flavor was just too much. Everything I made tasted the same. Nielsen Massey Vanilla seems to have a smoothness to it and it allows the other flavors of the dish come out. I also love that I can find it here at my local Publix. This is the vanilla I use in everyday baking.

Cherry Pitter

I guess I am stretching it a bit when I say I use this daily.... but I did use it quite a bit in the summer time when cherries were at their peak and you could buy them fresh in the market. I would sit with a bit bowl in the living room floor and each time I would pit one Kathryn would sneak into the bowl and eat it... She would look at me smiling with the black red juice of fresh cherries all over her face. This is a handy little gadget. It really does a fabulous job at pitting cherries and also olives.

Lyle's Golden Syrup

Ahhhhh... Lyle's. This is such a gorgeous syrup. I use this in cakes to add moistness and in ice cream for flavor. I pour this over pancakes and English muffins. It has a delicious carmelized flavor that puts Aunt Jemima's to shame.

Citrus Reamer

We juice ALOT of limes and lemons around here. I, forever, squeezed by hand. Then I saw the light.... and it shone on this lovely little piece of carved wood. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this little gadget. The Citrus Reamer is something that everyone should have in the kitchen and bar area. This will get every ounce of juice out of a piece of fruit. This is fabulous for mixed drinks, for making fresh lemonade, for anything you need fresh juice for. And the best part is that it will only set you back a few bucks.

Reef Flip Flops

I know, right! I swear, these are the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. I CANNOT cook in anything else. I have to have these shoes on if I am in the kitchen. Even first thing in the morning... if I am getting up early to cook breakfast... I have to have these on. I have had them for several years and I think they have many many more cakes to bake with me!

Taste Tester

My little love bunny is always in the kitchen with me. She sits in her little high chair and colors and acts like my own personal taste tester. Mostly she licks the frosting off of everything but I figure that really is the best part... right?

Comments on "Rain Drops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens"

 

Blogger Alanna said ... (October 19, 2005 9:06 PM) : 

Loved this, even if we have but one in common (the cherry pitter). And the photographs are nothing to be ashamed of in their own right!! Thanks for the inspiration! Alanna

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (October 20, 2005 10:06 AM) : 

Agh! Those Nigella measuring cups are killer. I am going to have to see if I can buy some online. :D Thanks for sharing, I love reading about what people gots. ;)

 

Blogger Mona said ... (October 20, 2005 10:26 AM) : 

Oh my, your taste tester is my favorite now too! What a cutiepatootie! AAH! Great idea with the favorites list. I use the same extracts too!

 

Blogger Punky said ... (October 20, 2005 3:39 PM) : 

Loved your pics and favorite things. Your little taste tester is just about the cutest thing on the planet (ok, maybe the cutest). And you are a woman after my own heart with the Reef flip flops. I own about 4 pairs (used to be closer to 8 when I worked somewhere that sold them).

 

Anonymous Janice said ... (October 20, 2005 7:24 PM) : 

Your styling and photography is wonderful. You're too critical of yourself. 101 might have a different camera -- but, bet she doesn't have such an adorable taste tester!
Enjoy your site, I'll be back!

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (October 21, 2005 8:01 PM) : 

Well, I can't remember what it was last time..but a while back u read my mind with one of the entries u wrote..seems like u've done it again..so again I wonder..is it something in our southern water??? lol

Luvly entry, as usual. I seriously have been stockpiling photos of my kitchen gadgets for an entry like this..so great idea!! lol Unfortunately I don't have the Nigella measuring cups yet..but I have been eyeing them for a while now..

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (October 21, 2005 8:32 PM) : 

Those eyes on your love bunny! Mama-mia! :)

 

Blogger Kailie said ... (November 06, 2005 1:13 PM) : 

I LOVE the nigella measuring cups. Some how, during the renovations in my house, the 1/4 cup went missing and I had to buy a whole new set. Mine are white, I wish I had the baby blue. Check on overstock.com + smartbargains.com for more nigella product.

 

post a comment