Tuesday, October 04, 2005

White Trash



Yeah, I did make those. And yeah I am actually blogging it.... Call me white trash, call me unsophisticated, call me simple.... Just don't call me crazy because you know deep down in your heart of hearts that you too have a deep appreciation for the simple beauty that is The Rice Krispies Treat.
I think Rice Krispies Treats were the first "dessert" I made as a child. When I was in college I would make mini batches of them in the microwave and would eat them straight out of the bowl... still warm and very very gooey.
I haven't made them in so long... and I am not really sure what possessed me to make them tonight... I was at the grocery and there were all the ingredients (all 2 of them) set up together and the craving hit me. I thought I may get creative with it and add in some other "gourmet" ingredients. But then I realized I was trying to turn them in to Britney Spears... White Trash with Money. So I said forget it and let them be the root showing, cut off shorts wearing, chain smoking little treats they were meant to be. I am actually going to post the recipe... just in case you are feeling a little red.

Rice Krispies Treats
3 tablespoons butter
1 bag marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies

Melt the butter in a large pot. Add in the marshmallows and allow all the melt. Stir in the Rice Krispies. Press into a buttered glass dish. Makes 24 squares. Enjoy with a Bud Light.

Comments on "White Trash"

 

Blogger Erika said ... (October 04, 2005 7:41 PM) : 

Rice Krispie Treats are nothing to be ashamed of!!! And for what it's worth- I have had my share of bad Krispie Treats (how on earth can so many people mess them up!)

Next time- add a half teaspoon of cinnamon to the marshmallows- soooo good!

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (October 04, 2005 8:42 PM) : 

Hah! If they are white trash then we can be proud to eat them anyways!

That's so funny, I have been majorly jonesing for them after I saw one of the Gilmore Girls eating Rice Krispies, marshmallows and milk for breakfast!

 

Anonymous Jeff said ... (October 04, 2005 9:32 PM) : 

I love Rice Krispie Treats! These are an all-time classic in my book :)

*pulls out lawn chair and a 6-pak*

 

Blogger Nic said ... (October 05, 2005 6:30 AM) : 

I love them, too. My neighbor's daughter will bring me a bunch from time to time - payback for other baked goodies, I think. Yum!

 

Blogger amateur said ... (October 05, 2005 10:38 AM) : 

Loved the post!!

 

Blogger Chloe said ... (October 06, 2005 5:34 AM) : 

Don't knock them... It is fun to experiment and the original is the yummiest... those prepackaged ones do not compare to the just made ones... YUMMM now I want some!

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (October 06, 2005 10:11 PM) : 

yum, I was just thinking of rice crispy treats the other day myself..I haven't made them in years, so the craving was a bit odd for me..Maybe it's something in the air down south right now? lol

u should try them with fruity/cocoa pebbles..delish also!!

 

Blogger Chan said ... (October 07, 2005 8:14 AM) : 

I am sooo glad I am not the only one that loves these little babies! And you are right Chloe... the prepackaged ones are HORRID.
Cheers to you all and to Rice Krispies Treats!!
Chan

 

Blogger Nupur said ... (October 08, 2005 1:49 PM) : 

My room-mate taught me how to make these soon after I came to the US. I was totally fascinated :) I love these soo much!

 

Blogger Cade said ... (October 12, 2005 5:58 PM) : 

I have a few memories of my mom making these.

I equate Rice Krispies Treats with lunchtime at school and always think of the popular commerical in which the mother feigns hard labour in baking them as she serves them up to her ever-grateful family.

I think you're right- most people have a soft spot and a sweet tooth for these!

 

Anonymous Lisa said ... (August 01, 2008 12:18 PM) : 

I live in Scotland(I am also from Scotland) and Rice Krispy Cakes are a different thing altogether for me. They are made buy melting chocolate, stirring the Kripsies,and if desired adding bits of Mars Bar/Maltesers etc it.

 

Anonymous muebles baratos said ... (October 17, 2011 8:42 AM) : 

Thanks so much for the article, pretty useful data.

 

post a comment