Sunday, November 06, 2005

Banana Rama


I think I have a serious crush on the banana...(get your mind out of the gutter, kids) because I seem to be making something banana flavored everytime I turn around. Last week I made two batches of banana walnut chocolate chip rum raisin bread. Good lord I love that bread... It is just so decedent. Here is a link to the post featuring that recipe.


This week's banana recipe is from the
More from Magnolia cookbook. It is Banana Cake with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting. Now I have to say that I was really surprised I pulled this one off. I was running low on time and smack dab in the middle of teaching my sister how to make Veal Marsala, and for some unknown reason I thought "Hey, I think I will whip up some sort of cake... and use these bananas." The bananas were literally on the verge of decomposition. But I swear, black bananas make the best bread. I won't even think of using them until they at least have gnats circling them. So I peeled my black bananas, dug out the sure enough rotten parts and mashed them to a pulp. I covered that up, killed a few gnats and got on with the veal. After the veal was simmering away and my sister finished up dinner, I made the rest of the batter and popped the batter in the oven. The cakes came out surpisingly light springy and the perfect shade of golden brown. They did, of course, have the ugly hump on top like they always do... but I am getting all "professional" these days and actually leveling cakes. I nearly sliced my finger off in the leveling process, but I did end up with a sound layer cake, so if I had lost a finger it wouldn't have been in vain.

The cream cheese white chocolate icing was a breeze. I melted my white chocolate only to see afterwards that I was NOT to use baking chocolate.... I was supposed to use a fine white chocolate.... but it was near midnight and baking chocolate seemed just fine. So I melted and creamed and blended and ta da..... icing. I do wish I had let the icing cool off a bit and let it thicken up .... it seemed too liquid-y when I was spreading it on.... but again, it was midnight and it was time to end this cake adventure.

Banana Cake with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing

Cake

3 cups cake flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 ½ cups VERY ripe bananas
6 tablespoons buttermilk
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla

Preheat the oven to 325.
Grease and flour two 9” cake pans, then line with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, on medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the bananas. Add half the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Add in the buttermilk and vanilla and then the second half of the dry ingredients, mixing well. Divide the batter among the prepared pans and bake for 40-50 minutes….

Icing
1 pound cream cheese, softened
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 ounces white chocolate (such as Lindt…. Do not use baking chocolate… although we all know I did) melted and cooled to lukewarm temperature.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until nice and smooth, about 3 minutes. Add in the vanilla and beat well. Add in the melted chocolate and mix well… Use immediately or store covered, at room temp for up to 4 hours.

Assembly:
Let the cake layers cool to room temp, level, and ice between the layers of cake, then ice the top and sides and enjoy getting fat…….

Comments on "Banana Rama"

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (November 06, 2005 10:14 PM) : 

OMG that looks sooo good Chan! Mmmmmmmmm now I want banana flavored stuff..mmmm :D

 

Anonymous LisaSD said ... (November 07, 2005 11:16 AM) : 

Um...white chocolate cream cheese frosting? Can we dispense with the cake and you just give me a bowl of THAT?!!

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (November 07, 2005 7:47 PM) : 

YUMMY!! Sounds & looks delish..and as usual it seems you are right on time with your creations..I don't know how you do this, but it seems you are always sharing a recipe right around the time I either need it or am considering something similar...in this case my nephew requested a banana cake just the other day...this sounds perfect =)

A tip with the near rotten bananas, I've found that if they are at that black PERFECT stage & u don't have time to use them u can stick them in a ziploc bag & pop them in the freezer for use later..works great =)

 

Blogger Kristi said ... (November 08, 2005 12:11 PM) : 

I love banana-flavored anything. This looks delicious. I'm definitely trying it.

 

Blogger grace said ... (November 11, 2005 3:34 AM) : 

Hmmm... Desserts.. desserts.... Love them, eat them.. cook them! got loads of desserts in my kitchen journal

 

Blogger Mona said ... (November 11, 2005 11:49 AM) : 

great minds must think alike. i just made my mom a cake from the same cookbook. though her craziness is for the coconut :) love the pictures of the cakeinprogress. and of course, the final one...looks incredible and my mouth is watering as i'm typing this.

 

Blogger kickpleat said ... (November 13, 2005 12:03 PM) : 

i'm totally not a fan of bananas but my husband loves them. his birthday is in january and i think this recipe will be his birthday cake! it looks wonderful and i'm sure he'll eat it up!

 

Blogger Chan said ... (November 13, 2005 12:57 PM) : 

This cake is really really good.. and the frosting is fabulous.
I would recommend using really good white chocolate for the frosting and also letting the frosting "firm up" a bit before slathering it on....
Let me kn ow how it turns out!
Cheers...
Chan

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (November 16, 2005 6:30 PM) : 

Hey Channy,
I had a great time visting with you this weekend. I miss you, art, and kat so much! We will have to visit you soon. I love you! And I love the recipes if mom would by the ingredients I'd be mixing it up alot in the kitchen! Well I got to go. I love you soooo much. Tell art and kat I said hello and I also love them.
Sincerely,
jordan dee

 

post a comment