Thursday, November 17, 2005

Good Grief...Paula Deen!



Well... I do declare! I have fallen in love with Miss Paula Deen! My friend Stephanie and I went to Birmingham, Alabama last night to attend a benefit to support Hanna Home in Shelby County. Hanna Home is a wonderful and life changing program for battered women and children. This home gives women and children a safe haven from domestic abuse and provides them with a graduated program to get them back out into society... safely. Paula donated her time on the 17th and all of the money went directly to Hanna Home.... and from what I could see, a lot of money was raised!!
Some of the women and older kids were there sitting on the first rows and I don't think Paula knew that. One of the girls stood up and thanked Paula for all that she was doing to help with Hanna Home and all of the sudden Paula said " You live at Hanna Home, don't you?" The girl replied "yes" and Paula gave her the biggest hug and cried so hard she couldn't speak. It was really very touching. Paula's heart is a big as a Georgia cotton field.....

Now, there were many tears but I have to say there was much more laughter! Paula Deen is a very funny lady. And very southern! She comes bouncing out on stage after a sweet introduction by the governor's wife, kicks her shoes off, takes a big ol' sip from her Taco Bell cup and says "Hey Y'all!" She is joined on stage by Birmingham's famed Chef Clayton and the she starts the cooking demo by saying "Listen y'all.... Chef Clayton and I can't teach you to cook. If y'all came here tonight expectin' to learn how to cook, y'all goin' to be disappointed!" She told us that she was probably no better of a cook than most of us in the audience.... that she just happened to make a living at it. "It's nothing to be scared of, y'all. It's just food. It's just food. If it doesn't turn out then just feed it to the dogs.... "

The cooking demo didn't quite go ever as well as I think Chef Clayton wanted! Paula turned the mike over to the crowd and answered questions and mingled out in the audience the whole night. She has us rolling with laughter telling stories of her childhood and flirting with every man she could! She listened to stories from audience members and gave out hugs, kisses and lots of photo opps. Paula is just a regular ol' Georgia gal that happened to make it in the culinary world... What you see is what you get with her... She holds nothing back. Her one liners are great... A 15 year old boy stood up and told Paula that he taught a cooking class to his homeschool group and wanted to know if she had any advice for him or his students. She said " Yeah. Go to medical school and cook on the weekends!" The crowd roared in laughter!

While Stephanie and I were traveling down to Birmingham, Steph said " You have to see this recipe I pulled out of Food and Wine..... It's a recipe for Krispy Kreme bread pudding." " You are kidding!" I screamed. " Daddy loves Krispy Kreme and he REALLY loves bread pudding... I have to copy that recipe and make it! He is going to freak..." We left the conversation at that and traveled on to Birmingham..... Well, Paula makes her way over to our area when she was out in the audience and a lady stands up and tells Paula that she has never laughed so hard as when Paula did the segment at Krispy Kreme and was eating the doughnuts hot, right off the conveyer belt! And that she loved the Krispy Kreme bread pudding recipe...... Stephanie's eyes grew as big a saucers and she ripped that folded up Food and Wine page out of her bag. "Oh. My. God. I cannot believe we were just talking about this recipe on the way down here, not KNOWING it was hers! This is WEIRD!" She whispered. " No kidding... this is freaky!" Paula comes very close to us and without thinking I scream "Miz Paula!" "Yes baby?" says Paula Deen. " My friend here just pulled this recipe out of Food and Wine and it is a recipe for YOUR Krispy Kreme bread pudding!!" Paula thought it was hilarious that her recipe was in Food and Wine and had no idea they had published it. The credit for the recipe goes to someone else in the magazine... but we all know only a Southern Girl could come up with Krispy Kreme doughnuts, heavy cream, 10 eggs and 2 cups of milk! I had to make this recipe straight away!

Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding

1 1/2 dozen glazed doughnuts, cut into sixths
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups milk
10 large egg yolks
2 large whole eggs
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk


Preheat the oven to 250°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Spread the doughnut pieces on baking sheets and bake for about 30 minutes, until dry on the outside and semi firm in the center. Raise the oven temperature to 350.

In a large bowl, whisk 2 cups of the cream with the milk, egg yolks, whole eggs and condensed milk. Add the doughnut pieces and let soak until the pieces are softened, about 1 hour; stir every 15 minutes.
Lightly butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Spoon the doughnut mixture into the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Set the dish in a roasting pan and add enough water to the pan to reach halfway up the side of the baking dish. Bake the bread pudding for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until the bread pudding is set.
Preheat the broiler. Broil the bread pudding for about 3 minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Let cool for 30 minutes. Take insulin shot.....and enjoy.


Stephanie and I had a great time..... We were able to fight our way to the stage after the show was over and I managed to get our books signed. I also purchased a signed Ladies Auxiliary apron! Steph and I decided that we are going to take up stalking famous chefs and food personalities..... next on our list is Alton. He lives in Atlanta, ya know.....

Until next time I leave you with another Paulaism...."Get some South in your mouth!"

Comments on "Good Grief...Paula Deen!"

 

Blogger Mona said ... (November 19, 2005 4:06 PM) : 

Wow, I can think of nothing more dangerous for me to have read than a recipe for krispy kreme PUDDING!?!? ohmygod, i can't wait to try this and wow myself and friends who are kuckoo for krispykreme!!

 

Anonymous LisaSD said ... (November 19, 2005 7:43 PM) : 

I saw that in food & wine and they seemed to indicate that it was Govind Armstrong's recipe...at least, he was the chef featured in the article it was in. Glad you had fun! Are you in Tuscaloosa, by any chance? My in-laws live in B'ham and I met my husband in college in Tuscaloosa.

 

Blogger Joe said ... (November 19, 2005 8:09 PM) : 

Actually, this is the recipe from Paula. Well at least this is how she made it

2 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 (4.5-ounce) cans fruit cocktail (undrained)
2 eggs, beaten
1 (9-ounce) box raisins
1 pinch salt
1 or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Butter Rum Sauce, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cube donuts into a large bowl. Pour other ingredients on top of donuts and let soak for a few minutes. Mix all ingredients together until donuts have soaked up the liquid as much as possible.

Bake for about 1 hour until center has jelled. Top with Butter Rum Sauce.

Butter Rum Sauce:
1 stick butter
1 pound box confectioners' sugar
Rum, to taste

Melt butter and slowly stir in confectioners' sugar. Add rum and heat until bubbly. Pour over each serving of Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding.

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (November 19, 2005 8:48 PM) : 

Don't you just love her?? I have been in love with Mz Paula for well over a year now. The woman makes me want to pack up & move to Savannah. I was crushed when I missed her book signing here in Charlotte. You really do feel like you know her when you watch her. Just another wonder southern woman to be proud of! =)

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (November 21, 2005 8:37 AM) : 

Bah! Not fair Chan! I LOVE Paula! :)

I am really glad you made this recipe...I've been wanting to make it since I saw it on her show, but the 'band doesn't like bread puddings at all...so I get to live vicariously through you! :)

I imagine that she is even more wonderful in person...beh I am still so jealous! :)

 

Blogger rpm said ... (November 21, 2005 5:13 PM) : 

I made last year from Paula's recipe that was on the Foodtv.com and I did not add the fruit cocktail and it turned out fine. I had to buy an extra donut for myself while I was making it!!

 

Blogger Stepped in Cupcake Batter said ... (November 24, 2005 9:48 AM) : 

How cool was that, I just love Miz Paula, I was in Borders the other day and saw she had a magazine. Should have bought it.
I am so jealous!!!!!!

 

Anonymous Janice said ... (November 25, 2005 8:35 PM) : 

I keep buying Krispy Kremes to make the bread pudding recipe (the store is only about 1 mile down the road), but I eat them before I can get home. LOL. Like all of you, I love Paula. Anybody that can render a lb of bacon and then add a stick of butter (to one recipe) can't be all bad.

 

Blogger Cate said ... (December 13, 2005 8:39 PM) : 

I love Paula Deen and have been lucky enough to meet her twice. One of our Supper Club members made this bread pudding awhile back, and it really isn't as sickeningly sweet as it sounds. ;)

 

Blogger Divine Diva in NC said ... (August 12, 2007 7:14 PM) : 

It can't be Paula Deen's recipe if it doesn't include butter :-D

The one with the rum sauce has enough butter to be Paula's!

We are fortunate enough to live in NC, near the REAL and ORIGINAL Krispy Kreme places (Winston-Salem and Raleigh).

There ain't nuffin like a HOT Krispy Kreme, cept maybe a dozen of 'em!

We only stop at KK if the round Red Light is on. For those that don't know, it says "HOT DOUGHNUTS NOW!"

I don't even care for cold doughnuts, except maybe lemon, custard, creme, or raspberry. Well I used to, but those fillings just taste fake now...just dye and chemicals.

If I want a really good filled doughnut, the best ones are at Kroger, with their lemon and custard filled Bismarks, and they are 3/$1 versus 89 cents each at KK.

 

Blogger Fab Grandma said ... (January 30, 2008 9:52 AM) : 

I wish I could have been there! My daughter in law is from England. As soon as she got to the states, she started watching The Food Network, and Paula Deen is her favorite show. She was watching it with my 10 year old grandson, and he says, "That lady sounds just like my granny!" hahaha.

And I can tell you, if I was not on a gluten free diet, I would be looking for a Krispy Kreme place right this very minute.

 

Anonymous yatesspain.blogspot.com said ... (September 16, 2011 12:16 AM) : 

A great deal of useful information for me!

 

Anonymous Erik said ... (November 05, 2011 7:53 AM) : 

Very worthwhile piece of writing, thank you for your article.
steel buildings

 

Anonymous Wilfrid said ... (November 07, 2011 9:26 AM) : 

This will not have effect as a matter of fact, that's what I suppose.
russian women

 

post a comment