Insane in the Membrane, Part II
|Something happened yesterday.... Something great. I am not sure exactly what it was , maybe it was sheer determination to prove all the ones who had doubt wrong, maybe it was all the prayers to the cake gods, maybe it was just luck.... What ever it was it was great. I freaking pulled it off... The Farm Tractor cake was conquered.|
This was so much fun. It's sculpture... But with sugarpaste. I worked for 6 hours straight on it and the hours felt like minutes! With each step I would say to myself... "I can't believe I am pulling this off. I can not believe I am doing this...."
Shaping the cake was no problem at all. The Hummingbird cake was nice and chilled and sliced up very well. This is a very very dense cake but it produced a lot of crumbs! I thought at first that I might be in trouble with all the crumbs but I did a fairly decent job of getting them all cleaned off. The cream cheese icing as a crumbcoat was a bad idea, I think. It never did dry like buttercream does so the fondant gives a bit when touched. I don't like that it does that. I want the cake to feel firm and solid.... There is no risk of it collapsing, but it still doesn't seem "firm" enough.
Another problem I had was coaxing the blue fondant onto the tractor body. Those square edges gave me a very hard time. In the book the tractor is smooth and perfect and the corners are smoothed over beautifully..... Mine wanted to fold over like Christmas wrapping paper. I had no idea what to do with them... and I had to act fast because the fondant was starting to dry. At first I had them flare out but quickly changed my mind. It looked stupid. I ended up pinching the corners together and trimming of the excess. Then I couldn't figure out how to make the seam go away. Anyone know how to do this?? I think the seams look really bad... but I figure the more I do it the better it will get.....
The rest of the sculpting really went great. Having an art background had finally paid off! That sculpture class I hated my senior year of college is finally making sense! The farmer's body went well... as did his face, nose, ears, eyes, arms and hands. The tires were a breeze... just cut out with biscuit cutters and embellished a little bit with pattern..... One issue I did have was being messy with the sugar glue. I had some idea that powdered sugar, merigure powder and water would dry clear..... why did I think that??? !!! It obviously does not dry clear.... it dries very white. Very white and very hard. So something I definitely learned for next time is EASY with the sugar glue.... and I need to be cleaner. And EASY with the freaking powdered sugar! Holy crap I had that stuff everywhere! Powdered sugar loves to settle into any and ever crack in fondant and it is a pain to get out.....
I really did have so much fun doing this and plan to make many more. I learned a lot from this first cake.... On what cake to use, what icing to NOT use, what to go easy on and what to add in. I learned that if you actually read the instructions things will turn out how they say they will turn out. I have to say I am pretty proud of this.... and I would have always dreamed about making one of these and saying "one day one day" had it not been for my best friend in the whole world... Stephie.
*** I am begging you all to please give me hints and tips on rolled fondant! Please email me anything you can and also some great sites to look at as well!! ***