Saturday, December 10, 2005

Insane in the Membrane

So my best friend in the whole world has just been declared mentally insane. I wish I could help her and I wish there is something I could do to for her.... but there is nothing. Honestly, I never saw it coming.... the breaking point, you ask? She asked me to make her (firstborn) son's FIRST birthday cake. Yeah.. I know. Sad, huh? God bless her soul.
I, of course, had a fleeting moment of insanity ( and WAY too much confidence) and exclaimed "YES! I CAN DO IT!I WOULD BE HONORED! " Actually I am very honored that she has enough confidence in me to do this... for the FIRST BIRTHDAY!Especially since she is a regular reader here..... God love her.
But she is insane. And so am I.
Here is the cake I am faced with.....

We will go through this together day by day. I have just started on the cake portion of it.... Hummingbird Cake.... I will get started on the fondant stuff this week. Stay tuned.. this will be an interesting week. Please pray to the cake gods and ask them to help me..... please.

Hummingbird Cake

  • 3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup oil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. soda
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 8 oz. can crushed pineapple with juice
  • 2 c. banana, chopped
  • 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped


Combine dry ingredients. Add eggs, oil and stir only until moistened. DO NOT BEAT. Stir in vanilla, pineapple, and banana. Pour into greased and floured pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

* I left out the pecans since this is a cake for children....

Comments on "Insane in the Membrane"

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (December 10, 2005 2:30 PM) : 

I've put in my prayers to the cake gods for u on this one.

Good luck grasshopper =)

 

Blogger Mona said ... (December 11, 2005 12:59 PM) : 

Cute post. Like the little bearded guy : ) Good luck good luck!

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (December 12, 2005 8:16 AM) : 

wow...may the foodie god force be with you! good luck!! :D

 

Blogger Stepped in Cupcake Batter said ... (December 13, 2005 8:27 AM) : 

I too have put in my prayers with the cake decorating gods, be patient, but most of call don't take yourself to seriously. Cake decorating for me has a way of bringing out the sailor, if ya know what I mean.

 

Anonymous LisaSD said ... (December 13, 2005 2:35 PM) : 

The good news is, that the little birthday boy will have NO clue if it's good or bad or whatever. The first bday is totally for the adults.

I hope to see a post about the final result! Godspeed!

 

Blogger Stephenie said ... (December 14, 2005 11:51 AM) : 

Did you know there is a Annapurna, the Hindu goddess of food & cooking?!! She also symbolizes the divine act of nourishing care and inspires cooks to provide guests with "the energy to follow their destiny". All you have to do is tap into some of her!
So... no pressure Chan.
The Finster will love it and I know it will be great. I'm so glad his godmother will be making his cake this year!

 

post a comment