Sunday, January 15, 2006

Happy Workers


My sister helped host a baby shower for one of her friends, Amanda. Amanda is such a sweet girl and she absolutely cracks me up... I love being around her... so I wanted to help out as well. I volunteered myself as the cake girl.... suprise suprise! I figure the more I do these cakes for real events the better I will be.....My sister went through my (ever growing) collection of cake decorating books and settled in on baby cakes decorated with tiny fondant bees. Amanda is dressing her baby's room in bumble bees and these cakes went right along with the theme! To do one of these little cakes is really no big deal.. and it doesn't take long at all to whip out one of those little bees... but holy crap.. 30 of those little suckers took me a while. The most time consuming part was definitely the crumb coating.... That literally took me allllll daaaayyyy looongg.... I was so very sick of buttercream by the end of it. I was covered in buttercream....I had it in my hair, all over my hands, all over the table, my apron was stiff from it all, and I later found some in my ear..... I HAVE NO IDEA HOW IT GOT THERE! Scary, really.


I was on top of my game for this one and made all the bees a few days in advance... I stored them in an air tight container and had to hide them from Kathryn. She, somehow knew they were going on top of cakes and associated them with cake from the start. She would climb on top of the table and just stare and them and say " MMMMMMmmmmm.... Cake. Oh Mommy, cake." I used a cake recipe from Colette Peters' Book Cakes to Dream On. She claims that it is a basic white cake, but my sister and I decided it was more of a caramel cake. The recipe I used calls for dark brown sugar, so that obviously is where the caramel flavor comes from. The cake bakes up well and carves up nicely when cold. I personally liked the taste of the hummingbird cake better but, as you know, had a hard time with the cream cheese frosting as a crumb coat. This cake I used was nice and the vanilla buttercream complimented it well...... and buttercream holds up MUCH better than the cream cheese frosting.


As you can tell by the photos I had an issue getting them all the same height... but I am sure I can fix that next go around. All in all, these little babies were... well... a piece of cake. Great for a novice beginner, like myself... and they make a cute display when all together....


Comments on "Happy Workers"

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (January 16, 2006 9:11 PM) : 

Those are the most adorable little bees/cakes I've ever seen! You did such a fantastic job girl! :D I love their little smiley faces...

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (January 16, 2006 9:23 PM) : 

Awesome job!! They are very cute. The bees are adorable. I'm pretty sure the baby cakes are covered in fondant right?? It looks really good..very smooth, even on the sides & edges. My experience that's the tricky part.

 

Blogger rpm said ... (January 17, 2006 5:59 AM) : 

I wish I had five of those for myself right now!! They are so cute.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (January 17, 2006 6:42 AM) : 

Those look great. Think you might have to change the word "beginner". What were the bees made of?

Love the picture.

 

Blogger Anna said ... (January 17, 2006 4:13 PM) : 

You are a master of the fondant! Wow. Pictures like these are going to ruin your "beginner" status ;).

 

Blogger michelle said ... (January 17, 2006 4:51 PM) : 

To echo everyone else: These are adoreable, Chandra! I love the bees! And is that fondant covering them? I'm impressed with how smooth you got them! Nice job!

 

Anonymous becky said ... (January 17, 2006 11:53 PM) : 

those are absolutely adorable! great job! ^_^

 

Blogger Natalia said ... (January 18, 2006 8:11 AM) : 

These are so cute! Did you make anything out of the scraps or just toss them?

 

Blogger Tanya said ... (January 18, 2006 12:29 PM) : 

Holy Beezoly! Those are the cutest things ever!

 

Blogger Stephenie said ... (January 18, 2006 2:16 PM) : 

A.Maz.Ing.
Those were the damndest most adorable things I have seen since the Farmer cake. I bet they were yummy too. Something lemon would be nice with those I'll bet...

You are so figuring this stuff out! Yay!

 

Anonymous Kelli said ... (January 18, 2006 3:53 PM) : 

How adorable! Nice job. The same thing that happened to you with the buttercream happens to me when I work with chocolate -- I get it everywhere and I have no idea how. Maybe we all have one ingredient that knows how to work us over :)

 

Anonymous Alice said ... (January 19, 2006 8:16 AM) : 

OMG....too cute!! I can't possibly think of anything that could be cuter!

 

Blogger Michele said ... (January 21, 2006 8:09 PM) : 

How adorable!

 

Blogger MM said ... (January 22, 2006 4:24 PM) : 

Those are so adorable! I was giggling like a little girl just looking at them. Brilliant!

 

Blogger strawberry said ... (January 26, 2006 6:48 PM) : 

My gosh, I'm in awe!
Those bees are inexplicably wonderful! And they're all homemade.

Thanks for the pictures, they delight up my day!

 

Blogger Bron said ... (February 01, 2006 12:26 PM) : 

These are just so cute!
I might have to have a go making the little bees myself, thanks for the inspiration!

 

Blogger Precious Moments said ... (June 02, 2006 7:51 AM) : 

Such a cuties. Did you prepare the fondant from scratch? Would love to have the recipe if you did.

 

post a comment