Friday, January 27, 2006

Low is the New High....


Sugar Low Friday.... is it really the same? Grated my thighs let out a sigh of relief at the mention of Sugar Low as the theme.... but my mind, heart and tongue said... bleh. Is it possible to live in the realm of desserts without sugar and fat? I wasn't sure but I was going to find out... I thought of it as a challenge.... but then again me being in the kitchen is a challenge in it's self. I started by researching some methods of substituting honey for sugar. I had originally planned to get a head start on SHF this month and work on it last week... but that of course didn't happen. So here I am in the final hour wondering... do I have time to make this Spiced Crystallized Ginger Cake subbing out honey for the sugar.... All the ingredients have to be at room temp and I don't have any fresh ginger... Should I attempt this? Oh... why not. I will post on it tomorrow....


In the mean time I did make a low sugar vanilla custard with crushed pineapple. It's nice and all but it just lacks something...... what is it?? Oh yeah... SUGAR! This recipe comes from a Weight Watchers cookbook I have had for a few years. I was on Weight Watchers for a few hours once and those hours coincided with a trip to the book store and a particularly bloated day.... so hence the purchase of the book. I have made one other thing out of the the book that was okay but really it just sits on the shelf and serves as a daily reminder that structured diets just don't work for me. And so the fat lives......and multiplies.

Weight Watchers Coconut Custard

* I didn't have any coconut extract that is why mine is vanilla.....

Makes 4 (very small) Servings

1 cup low fat milk
1/3 cup instant non fat dry milk powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon coconut extract (or vanilla, rum, banana, etc)
2 eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
4 teaspoons toasted coconut

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 4 custard cups with nonstick cooking spray.
In a medium saucepan combine the milk, dry milk, sugar and coconut extract; cook , stirring frequently, until the mixture boils and sugar dissolves.
In medium bowl, whisk the eggs until light; gradually pour the hot milk mixture and the vanilla. Pour into custard cups and sprinkle with coconut. Place the cups in a shallow posting pan; pour hot water half way up the cups. Bake until custards are set, about 20-25 minutes. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled.

Comments on "Low is the New High...."

 

Anonymous Ivonne said ... (January 28, 2006 2:48 PM) : 

I understand your feelings about sugar low friday ... I'm still not convinced!

But your recipe and dessert look fantastic!

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (January 28, 2006 5:10 PM) : 

The custard looks good, and you've definitely got the right idea with subbing the honey for the processed sugar..but as for the sugar low friday..the concept is great but I couldn't give up sugar is my life depended on it.

 

Blogger Sam said ... (January 29, 2006 12:17 PM) : 

I like my sugar too, but it has been fascinating to experiment with different ideas and broaden our horizons about how to sweeten things more naturally.

I hope you had fun even though you are not 100% convinced.

If you didn't have fun, then please accept my humble apologies.

sam

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (January 31, 2006 10:02 AM) : 

i hear ya. the majority of the time, not having sugar makes things taste just blah, and if that makes me uninspired, oh well. :)

 

Anonymous Valentine said ... (August 24, 2011 7:27 AM) : 

hot tub rash | Caribean condos | flooring for basements

universities in dallas | swiss franc etf | simple recipes

flooring for basements | power of attorney | foundation repair

flowers pictures | front doors | cool wallpapers

 

post a comment