Saturday, January 07, 2006

My Little Clabber Girl

Sometimes when I am contemplating the world and my place in it, I wonder why it is that I love my kitchen so much. I wonder why it is that I feel the most comfortable in my kitchen. I wonder why, when I am bored (which, trust me, is not very often) I automatically go to the kitchen and start to cook..... without thinking. Then I start to wonder why it is that I love to cook so much. Is it an innate womanly instinct to feed my family? Is it the measuring and the sifting? Is it that I feel somewhat connected to the chef's whose recipes I copy, thinking if I can make crabcakes like Emeril, then I must be on the same level.... right? Wrong. I think it is just that I simply love the act of making something. From nothing.

And really more than anything I love this....

and this...


Kathryn has been promoted from Taste Tester to Official Kitchen Sidekick. I swear to God, I get all misty eyed when I see her rolling out dough and cutting out little stars with her cookie cutter. I could care less that the cornstarch mess will take me about 3 to 3 and a half days to clean up because it stretches from the kitchen all the way across the house to the bathroom. I just love to see her in the kitchen. I love that she wants to be in the kitchen..... and I love that she likes to get her hands dirty. I know, I know... she is a kid and what kid doesn't like to play in messy cornstarch.... but damnit she is my kid...and these are memories that she is making with me.... and I hope she remembers these times all of her life.... I know I will.

Okay, enough with the sappy kid crap.....but she really is the reason I am trying to learn all this....

Comments on "My Little Clabber Girl"

 

Blogger Patti said ... (January 07, 2006 5:48 PM) : 

How very sweet! She is a doll!

 

Anonymous tami j. said ... (January 07, 2006 6:25 PM) : 

i read your blog often but i dont think i have ever commented. this was such a wonderful, heart tugging post. thank you so much for sharing it with everyone :)

- tami

 

Blogger Cate said ... (January 07, 2006 7:22 PM) : 

Beautiful pictures, and I know completely how you feel... check out my post tonight. ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (January 07, 2006 7:31 PM) : 

She is absolutely beautiful your little girl... I have an almost three year old myself and I love cooking with Garrison! Thank you for sharing your pictures with us. Enjoy every minute of her! They grow too fast!

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (January 07, 2006 8:12 PM) : 

aww what a nice post and adorable pics of the k-bell. :o)

 

Blogger valentina said ... (January 08, 2006 3:52 PM) : 

How lovely your post and the pictures of your little girl getting flour all over her. Those fabulous memories will be with her.And somehow shape the person that she will become.

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (January 09, 2006 4:20 PM) : 

Pst! I tagged you and Kathryn for a meme! Check it out..

http://somethingsoclever.typepad.com/something_so_clever/2006/01/7_memes.html

 

Anonymous Lisa--In a Nutshell said ... (January 09, 2006 8:16 PM) : 

Love how the can says "no mess!"

 

Anonymous Kelli said ... (January 11, 2006 6:32 AM) : 

Hi Chan--Thanks for tagging me! I'll start thinking about my answers now. Yours are hilarious and so sweet. I should start saying "Do you want to sit in the naughty chair" more often! :)

 

Blogger Stepped in Cupcake Batter said ... (January 13, 2006 2:24 PM) : 

These moments past all to quickly........

 

Anonymous dawn said ... (January 16, 2006 4:51 PM) : 

She's beautiful!!!!!!!!I love it all! Dawn

 

post a comment