Saturday, April 08, 2006

Feeling Upside Down


I have a seriously bad case of spring fever this year. It has been really really nice here in Alabama (evident by the lack of posts here) and Kathryn and I have been spending a lot of time outside playing. I am ready for the pool and for sunscreen and for flip flops... and for tropical flavored rum spiked drinks. When I get spring fever I tend to force my loved ones to eat grilled meats and veggies and sit outside on the patio furniture..... warm or not. I also start grocery shopping like it is summer... buying tropical fruits and popsicles. On one of my recent expeditions to Costco I convinced myself and my husband that I needed a case of mangos. " I've got several good recipes at home that call for mangos..." I said. Ahem... yeah. Several. After I get my case of beautiful mangos home I wonder... What in the hell am I going to do with all of these?! So I hit the books and a very unlikely gal came to my rescue... Ol' Martha.



Pineapple Mango Upside Down Cake

10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
1 medium ripe pineapple, peeled and cut into thick slices
1 medium ripe mango
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350. Butter an 8x8 pan, line with parchment and butter parchment. Using a 1.5 inch cookie cutter, cut rounds out of the centers of the 4 pineapple slices. Finely chop the remainder of the pineapple to yield 1 cup. Place chopped fruit in mesh sieve to drain.

Cut the mango lengthwise and using the same 1.5 inch cookie cutter, cut out rounds to fit inside the pineapple. Finely chop the remaining mango to yield ½ cup and add to the sieve.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream 2 tablespoons of the butter with the brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Using a small offset spatula, evenly spread the butter mixture on the bottom of the pan. Place the pineapple rings in each corner of the pan and fit the mango rounds inside the pineapple.

In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of the electric mixer, beat the remaining stick of butter with the granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Turn mixer on low speed and add in the flour mixture in 2 parts alternating with the sour cream. Start with the flour mix and end with it as well.

Spread the drained chopped fruit over the top of the pineapple rings, making sure to fill in any gaps. Spread the cake batter evenly over the fruit. Pop that baby in the oven and bake for about 50 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Invert cake onto serving platter and enjoy.

This is one Martha recipe that I can say comes out beautifully. The only substitutions I made were to use vanilla yogurt instead of the sour cream, simply because I didn't have any sour cream and I also used dark brown sugar instead of light for the same reason. The cake came out so delicious even with my messing with it.....

Try this for an after summer grilled dinner.... with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. Delicious!!

Comments on "Feeling Upside Down"

 

Blogger The Old Foodie said ... (April 08, 2006 6:49 PM) : 

Hello Chan
We had a terrible mango season this year in Queensland, so I am jealous of your "surplus". Mangoes are a huge crop here and many people have trees in the back-yard, so green mangoes are not difficult to come by. Just in case you cant use up all your recent purchase, you could prepare some of this fruit mince to keep for mince pies. It is from the "Australian Women’s Mirror" dated Jan 26 1932. You could use your ripe mangoes (which of course would be more juicy) and reduce the excess liquid quite a bit before adding it back into the mix (or add more sugar?). I've used ripe mangoes instead of green in mango chutney, and it works well if you take the increased liquid into account - and I reckon the flavour is better.

Queensland Mincemeat:

Peel and slice enough green mangoes to make, when run through mincer 1 cup of pulp (minus excess juice). Add ½ cup sugar, 1 cup currants, 1 cup seeded raisins cut up finely, 2 heaped Tbs. Home-made orange marmalade, 1 heaped Tbs. Butter and 1 ½ tsp. Mixed spice. Mix thoroughly.

Have fun.

 

Blogger purplecupcake said ... (April 09, 2006 7:52 AM) : 

I'm a HUGE fan of pineapple upside down cake. Yours looks so wonderful and I would've never thought to put in some mango. Mango are everywhere here in Guam so I should try this recipe out. Thanks

 

Blogger sage said ... (April 10, 2006 10:10 AM) : 

WOW, this looks wonderful...thanks for sharing!

to your good health,
sage

 

Blogger barbie2be said ... (April 11, 2006 9:53 AM) : 

my sweet-tooth is begging me for a hunk of this with a big old scoop of vanilla bean ice cream!

 

Anonymous emily said ... (April 11, 2006 1:29 PM) : 

This looks so great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (April 11, 2006 2:30 PM) : 

How crazy is this I have only met a few people with the same name as me my name is Chandra also. I don't have a blog but I like to read other peoples and found you through another blog. Just wanted to say Hi!

 

Anonymous Ivonne said ... (April 11, 2006 8:12 PM) : 

Well this cake would most certainly put anyone in the mood for sun and warm weather.

Lovely as always!

 

Blogger stacey said ... (April 14, 2006 1:56 PM) : 

oh well done! pineapple and mango?! does life get any tastier???

 

Anonymous Andrée said ... (April 14, 2006 7:24 PM) : 

Ooh, that looks delish! What do you mean, you,re READY for flip flops, I thought you wore them year round ;)

Can't wait to see what you cook-up next, I'm going to have to whip something up off your blog, it's all just too delicious looking to pass up!

 

Anonymous Abi said ... (April 21, 2006 7:16 PM) : 

Hmmm. Found you through a series of links that started at Blogher. Maybe I didn't read this correctly, but did you make this cake without cornmeal?

 

Blogger Cyberman said ... (April 03, 2010 8:01 AM) : 

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back? This would never have happened under the Tories.

 

post a comment