Friday, April 28, 2006

The Wilton Rose


So I know it says up there in the heading " No classes here......" but my mom talked me into taking a Wilton Cake Decorating class with her. Honestly I wasn't really that interested but my mom has always wanted to take one of those classes and I thought it would be fun to hang with her.... she is hilarious to be around. So she signed us up and bought a ridiculous amount of cake decorating supplies (some of which she left in a Hobby Lobby shopping cart after the second class... bless her heart) and off to school we went. The Wilton stuff is kinds cheesy to me...but I guess it is a good foundation for cake decorating. Actually decorating with buttercream scares the hell out of me..... it's not like fondant. With fondant once you sculpt something and let it dry it is pretty hard to destroy (unless you have a two year old around screaming "ohhhhh mommy... pretty cake") ....but with buttercream it always seems so delicate. And messy. And I have a hard time with those bags..... But mom and I went and learned all we could. I did get a better grip on my bags and learned to make a pretty shell pattern... but what I am now obsessed with is The Wilton Rose.



Ahhhhh The Wilton Rose.... The crowning glory of cake decorating. I practiced that rose for at least 5 hours the other day and literally came up with 4 roses. But once you get it, you get it. It's like riding a bike.... when you know it, it doesn't leave you. And you become dangerously obsessed with it, waking up at 4 am wondering if anyone would hear the KitchenAid whipping up a new batch of icing. Now I am spitting those things out like crazy and I become very protective of each one.... like a mother over her child. I think I am addicted.

There were no recipes provided in the class, except for the Wilton recipe for buttercream. It is insanely easy to whip up and tastes suprisingly delicious. I just used Kate Sullivan's 1234 buttercake for my cakes and again... easy to whip up....

Wilton Buttercream

1 cup Crisco
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
2 tablespoons water (or milk)
1 lb powdered sugar (about 4 cups)
1 tablespoon meringue powder
Pinch of salt

Cream the Crisco with the vanilla and water. Add in the dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Yields 3 cups.

Comments on "The Wilton Rose"

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (April 28, 2006 6:44 AM) : 

gorgeous roses chan! :) I've never managed anything as cute as that. About all I perfected at the restaurant was perfect butter rosettes. Hm. lol :)

 

Blogger barbie2be said ... (April 28, 2006 10:40 AM) : 

those are beautiful! i have been thinking of taking that class.

 

Blogger Rosa said ... (April 28, 2006 9:17 PM) : 

Funny! They are beautiful. Have you seen www.bakedecoratecelebrate.com? I just found it on the Dispensing Happiness blog. We're not going to get it here on Nashville NPT, boohiss. (I once took a cake decorating class--we all showed up with a cake and the teacher never did. Oh well, wasn't meant to be!) Thanks for posting the recipe for the icing!

 

Blogger Barbara (Biscuit Girl) said ... (April 29, 2006 7:23 AM) : 

They're beautiful!

 

Anonymous Ellie said ... (April 30, 2006 6:52 PM) : 

those roses are amazing! Any chance of getting a photo tutorial? *big winning smile*

 

Anonymous Andrée said ... (May 01, 2006 6:19 AM) : 

BEAUTIFULL roses! Wow, I'M in total envy! THe site looks wonderfull, kudos to your friend, she's got talent! Um, what is Meringue powder? DO you get that at specialty stores only? Looks YUMMY!

 

Blogger DanieL said ... (May 01, 2006 7:48 AM) : 

it looks yummeh!

 

Blogger Sylvie said ... (May 01, 2006 7:50 AM) : 

A class here and there never hurts. I took a fondant class once and loved it. Classes like that make you appreciate the expense of finely decorated cakes. I also enjoy your blog.

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (May 07, 2006 6:21 PM) : 

Ahhh such pretty Wilton Roses. I have always wondered what the wilton icing tasted like made with Crisco. Love the new look too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (June 27, 2006 6:43 PM) : 

I just made that cake today in class it was so much fun! And the roses aren't that hard once you do the steps the way the instructor tells you it's pretty easy I had such a good time in class today!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 18, 2006 7:41 AM) : 

Do you find it as easy to make the roses using Kate Sullivan's buttercream recipe as the Wilton recipe? I took the Wilton class, too, but I didn't like their buttercream recipe - no butter does not constitute buttercream to me - especially if you then add in artifical butter flavor! It did have a good consistency, so that's why I want to know if you used Kate's recipe.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (September 23, 2007 9:25 AM) : 

Hey...Gorgeous roses. I am in my course I and I have my graduation class in 2 days. But I am not getting those roses right. Is there any special trick you would like to share to get the roses as perfect as yours. Also are you able to make them with the stiff consistency icing? 'coz I am having a great trouble squeezing the stiff consistency into petals. My fingers pain by the time I make the second petal. Please help me out. Thanks in Advance.

 

Blogger The Pouting Princess said ... (March 04, 2009 7:51 AM) : 

The roses look great. I know what you mean with buttercream. My latest cupcakes on my blog were an experiment and I decided to pipe pink buttercream icing onto the cakes in a boiling hot kitchen. I was not happy when I came back and saw 2 cakes had half of the icing melting off. I had to re-do them! I am seriously thinking about decorating a lot with fondant!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (February 14, 2010 8:28 PM) : 

An ingredient is missing in the Wilton recipe? 1/2 cup of butter.
That's what my Wilton instructor told us today.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (May 22, 2010 1:51 PM) : 

What tip did you use for the roses? We used #104, but the edges aren't frilly like yours.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (July 08, 2010 1:16 AM) : 

To the Anon commenter who said butter is missing: this recipe is for pure white buttercream icing; the 1/2 cup of butter your instructor told you is used to substitute 1/2 cup of Crisco to get that pale yellow colour and buttery flavour that is associated with traditional buttercream. :)

 

Anonymous Anthony said ... (September 01, 2011 4:16 AM) : 

there | this page | check this | this site | here | this page | there | check this

this page | here | there | check this | this site | here | this page

there | this page | check this | this site | here | this page | there | check this

 

Blogger cakegirl said ... (September 14, 2011 1:13 PM) : 

i am a wilton instructor, your roses are nice :) also some are commenting to add 1/2 cup butter to the icing, in the wilton classes we dont use real butter so that the icing is pure white, add the butter extract for the flavor. that said, if you are going to color it or make chocolate buttercream(delish) you can sub 1/2 of the crisco for butter :)

 

Anonymous consejo comprar yate said ... (September 25, 2011 1:42 PM) : 

Oh my god, there's a lot of useful information in this post!

 

Anonymous Stock tips said ... (June 04, 2012 4:34 AM) : 

When you are looking at companies to invest in, you want to make sure that they are well known companies that have a large market cap. Companies with large market caps are less risky than small unknown companies.

Commodity Tips

 

Anonymous Stock tips said ... (June 12, 2012 5:33 AM) : 

Essentially by buying shares of a company, you are buying a part of their business and as shareholders you get impacted by the company's performance.

Commodity Tips

 

Anonymous Wilton Recipe said ... (March 04, 2014 6:43 AM) : 

When you are looking at companies to invest in, you want to make sure that they are well known companies that have a large market cap. Companies with large market caps are less risky than small unknown companies.

 

Blogger hường lê said ... (May 30, 2016 6:50 PM) : 

We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Great work.

Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article.
Sign in to Gmail to access to all Gooogle services. Log in to your account or sign up to create a new account
gmail sign in

gmail log in

what's gmail?

slitherio

Tank trouble

happy wheels

Strike Force Heroes

In this game, you start at the cavern men's age, then evolve! There is a total of 5 ages, each with its units and turrets. Take control of 16 different units and 15 different turrets to defend your base and destroy your enemy.
age of war

We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. Great work.
happy wheels

strike force heroes

earn to die

Fireboy and Watergirl arrived again to the temple in the forest. 2 players together can help them to find their way out.
fire boy and water girl

 

post a comment