Friday, June 23, 2006

Ganache Love

This. Cake. Makes. My. Knees. Weak.


I made this little darlin' for my friend Stephenie's surprise baby shower. It was supposed to be this cake minus the ball and chain and with a few baby birds around the picket fence. BUT.... the top cake didn't come out of her pan as planned and when I was trying to put the wings on the birds the lady bird's head fell off and it made me REALLY mad. So I said many unlady like words, wadded up all the fence slates (all 50 of them), threw the painstakingly crafted bluebirds away and just let the cake be ganached. Which honestly I think is quite beautiful. This was the first time I have worked with ganache and I am officially in love. Deep and profound love. I couldn't get enough of it. I just keep pouring on layer after layer after layer of this stuff..... and it never wavered.

The cake is from Kate Sullivan's book.... and I have to say it is giving Colette's Chocolate Bourbon cake a run for it's money. This cake is dense and very moist. It really is fabulous to cut and carve, but most of all it is delicious. I added a bit of orange extract to the batter to give it a little warmth....It has a really great taste. The cake is not at all too chocolately or sweet. It's mellow but not bland. Really good.... and with a thick layer of semi sweet ganache piled on top... it was fabulous. Only half the cake was eaten at the shower (thank god) so I ate the rest one forkful at a time. When things are really good that is the way I like to eat them... just one forkful at a time. It's my way of absolutely savoring every little bite.....

One Delicious Chocolate Cake (Kate Sullivan)

2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
3 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs, room temp
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 ½ cups buttermilk, room temp
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ cups strong coffee

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour sides and bottoms of pans. Set pans aside.

In large bowl of mixer, stir together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and soda. Stir in the sugar.

In small bowl, combine the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix into the dry ingredients. Stir in the buttermilk, melted butter and coffee. Divide batter evenly among pans.

Bake at 350 for around 50 minutes. Transfer to wire cooling rack.

Easy Foolproof Ganache

18 ozs semisweet chocolate chips
1 ½ cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon liquor or flavoring (optional)

Heat cream until nearly boiling. Pour over chocolate chips, cover and let sit 10 minutes. Whisk chocolate and cream (and flavor if using) until well combined; dark, smooth and glossy.

Let sit at room temp until cooled. To thicken, beat with hand mixer for a few minutes. Also thickens over time as it sits.

Refrigerate in airtight container for up to a week. To restore to spreading or glazing consistency, heat and stir over double boiler for a few minutes until softened.

Comments on "Ganache Love"

 

Blogger Lis said ... (June 23, 2006 8:41 AM) : 

Your cake looks gorgeous.. and it sounds like it tasted just as good! Thanks for sharing the recipe and the pretty pictures :D

 

Anonymous Ivonne said ... (June 23, 2006 11:30 AM) : 

Hi Chandra,

What a glorious, adorable cake! Even if it didn't work out as originally planned, I still think it's fantastic!

 

Blogger Rebekka said ... (June 25, 2006 6:31 AM) : 

Hey fellow baker friend! That cake is beautiful! I love your blog!

 

Anonymous emily said ... (June 25, 2006 2:20 PM) : 

Yum!All that chocolate goodness.Divine.

 

Blogger Natalia said ... (June 26, 2006 8:49 AM) : 

Your cakes are always beautiful, even if they don't turn out like you intented. It looks delicious! I don't know if I could eat one forkfull at a time, unless by that you meant one forkful every 10 minutes or so.

 

Blogger Chan said ... (June 26, 2006 9:04 AM) : 

yeah it pretty much was every 10 minutes or so... :)
i would just crave it.... i hate that it is gone..but my thighs are thankful!
cheers...
chan

 

Blogger Rebekka said ... (June 26, 2006 11:22 AM) : 

oh my gosh! I can't beleive you're in Alabama, too! Yeah, seriously, we need to get together and do some baking.

 

Blogger Marilyn said ... (June 26, 2006 8:29 PM) : 

Wonderful...it looks like a good candidate for a chocolate-induced coma. Just my style. Love your blog!

 

Anonymous Jaye said ... (June 27, 2006 5:24 PM) : 

Been blog surfing and am SO glad that I came across your page. This look stunning, especially the silver beads and with the flowers. I'll bet it's dense with all that coffee and buttermilk! Looking forward to reading more and again, very happy to find your page.

 

Blogger suburban housefrau said ... (July 12, 2006 2:26 PM) : 

did you use the ganache between the layers like regular frosting as well?

 

Blogger Sherri said ... (July 20, 2006 8:10 PM) : 

Great blog ! Love the cake. Your posts are funny & Real !!!

 

Blogger tammiemarie said ... (August 06, 2006 8:42 PM) : 

i just got k.s.'s book and i love it! coincidentally, i was planning to make this same cake for a baby shower 2 weeks from today. i am sorry to hear you had trouble with it. if mine turns out i will post it on my blog!

 

Anonymous emigre said ... (September 12, 2006 6:41 PM) : 

wow, the before and after pics are very clever.

 

Anonymous jenncharina said ... (December 04, 2006 6:34 PM) : 

do you use dutch processed cocoa?

 

Blogger missy-j said ... (December 05, 2006 6:18 AM) : 

Looks good! Did u use 9" pans?

 

Blogger Garrett said ... (January 12, 2007 2:23 PM) : 

I don't think one can ever go wrong with ganache!?

Well, unless you eat nothing but, but that's a good way to go into the great beyond; with a face smeared in chocolate.

 

Anonymous Andrée said ... (January 17, 2007 5:55 AM) : 

Oh, I'm totally making this this weekend! My husband's boss is coming over for supper, so yeah, this would be a total treat :P

 

Anonymous Sorina said ... (January 16, 2008 6:43 AM) : 

You have such a lovely blog. Great recipe it really does look so delicious.

 

Anonymous Johnna Knows Good Food said ... (June 16, 2008 2:38 PM) : 

That's the cutest cake and it looks tasty!

 

Blogger Shaya said ... (July 07, 2008 1:33 PM) : 

Hi,
I didn't see in the blog entry...do you use three 9" pans?
Thanks!
Shaya
www.bakedgoodness.blogspot.com

 

Anonymous Haley said ... (October 17, 2008 11:12 AM) : 

You can never go wrong with a good chocolate cake! Your ganache looks beautiful!

I would love to include your recipe in our pre-loaded Demy, the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email haleyglasco@gmail.com if you're interested.

To find out more about the Demy, you can visit this site:
http://mydemy.com/

Thanks!

 

Anonymous love eat said ... (November 20, 2008 6:53 PM) : 

Wow...It make me hungry..
thanks for sharing this great recipe..!!
cheers,
magnetic bracelet clasp

 

Anonymous Cakeitaly.com said ... (December 14, 2008 10:19 AM) : 

Wow fantastic ideas for my next lunch with my friends.

Bye from Italy by
Cakeitaly.com - A taste of Italian sweets

 

Blogger mr.sound and mrs.sound said ... (January 14, 2009 8:55 PM) : 

I see that you’re interested and fascinated in food stuffs. You see, we have this food site Foodista.com that is a food and cooking encyclopaedia that everyone and anyone can edit. Maybe you are interested in sharing some of recipes to us or share your knowledge about food stuffs and techniques. Not only that you help us and other people in tasting new recipes but your submitted recipes will be raffled. You will have a chance to win $100 gift card to Sur La Table by just sharing your recipes to all. One entry per recipe, the more you submit recipes the better your chances. Click HERE for more info about the drawing. Or maybe you can try our link back system at Foodista an easy way to get link backs between two food related sites, if you’re not into sharing your recipes or knowledge. Enjoy and see you there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (February 04, 2009 11:38 AM) : 

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds terrific!

A little recommendation, I found these to be so delicious and useful in my kitchen: http://bajoseasonedsalts.com/

Cheers.

John

 

Blogger Bharat Book Bureau said ... (March 20, 2009 2:47 AM) : 

Hello

Great Blog I will definitely bookmark your blog. I am also having a blog related to food and drinks http://foodmarketnews.blogspot.com/ which gives latest analysis and trends in food and drinks industry in the present recession period. I would appreciate if you could kindly bookmark my blog too.

 

Blogger Bharat Book Bureau said ... (April 07, 2009 4:39 AM) : 

Hello,

My Name is Sharon. Your blog is good online source for food lovers. As I am also into food research. Its a good blog with lots of information. Keep the good work on.

I will definitely bookmark your blog for my research work. You may also kindly visit my web site blog related to food and drinks industry that is
http://foodmarketnews.blogspot.com
and I would appreciate if you could kindly have a look at my blog too. It's updated on a daily basis.

Thanks & Regards,
Sharon

 

Anonymous Primary Work at Home said ... (December 18, 2009 3:28 AM) : 

Looks so yummy! Great post.

 

Blogger Caleb said ... (January 15, 2010 3:09 PM) : 

I found your food blog going through a few links. Glad I ran into it. Didn’t know that the food blog/recipe community was so big online. I love your posts!

I was wondering if you would like to exchange links. I’ll drop yours on my site and you drop mine on yours. Email at ramendays@yahoo.com or stop by my site and drop a comment. Let me know if you would like to do a link exchange.

Cheers,
Caleb
http://www.ramendays.com

 

Anonymous Amy B. @ Foodista said ... (July 23, 2010 12:23 AM) : 

Wow! That cake looks perfect, i love it! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I hope mine would turn out as lovely as that, haha. I wanna share this recipe to my friends in Foodista. I hope you don't mind. If you could just add the foodista widget for heavy cream at the end of this post, that should do it! Keep on posting ;-)

Cheers, Amy from Australia

 

Anonymous Maggie - Tables said ... (July 29, 2010 3:31 AM) : 

Looks wonderful. Great reading your post as well.Pictures is also good.

Thanks.

 

Anonymous Buy Entocort said ... (January 19, 2011 2:29 AM) : 

Wow, this is wonderful...I love this cake...It justing melting my mouth with water..and I feel hungry.. I'm going to get it by today...to satisfy my trust of stomach.

 

Anonymous home decor said ... (January 27, 2011 9:05 PM) : 

This is really a wonderful experience to visit such great blog of foodies.

 

Blogger Birthday Party Ideas said ... (April 05, 2011 12:00 AM) : 

That looks delish! Gorgeous cake!

Year Old Birthday Party Ideas

 

Anonymous Formspring Clone Script said ... (May 14, 2011 12:03 AM) : 

Thanks for the post. I liked it. Keep going I follow you.
Fiverr clone
Formspring Backgrounds

 

Anonymous kids birthday party ideas said ... (May 31, 2011 8:17 AM) : 

I am so entertaining. I think my favorite b-day cake is probably getting the birthday call from my mom. She always sings happy birthday to me.

 

Anonymous kids birthday party games said ... (July 05, 2011 9:36 AM) : 

Its really a good read for me .... I'll share here a memorable day.its my beautiful day when I was 7 and my mother organize a birthday party ... She gets kids birthday party ideas from kidsfairyland.Com/

 

Anonymous Hire Web Developers said ... (September 09, 2011 12:39 AM) : 

Chocolate cake likes everyone because it is so delicious in test. And it is the best gift for anybody on very special occasion. Chocolate cake is dense and moist and available in different sizes.

 

Anonymous Stock tips said ... (May 01, 2012 4:26 AM) : 

I kind of shot myself in the foot when I made that incredible Rainbow Cake for B'day.

Commodity Tips, Stock Tips

 

Anonymous Perfumes said ... (May 11, 2012 1:52 AM) : 

Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?

 

Anonymous performance of step up,  said ... (November 01, 2012 4:32 AM) : 

Herbal body growth formula is a completely herbal; it is made of natural herbs. It helps to complete our body’s growth. It works on hormone with the boost of natural process and give you result bones ligaments


 

Anonymous tummy fit weight loss treatment said ... (November 23, 2012 3:16 AM) : 


This is the first time i am reading your post and admire that you posted article which gives users lot of information regarding particular
topic thanks for this share.

 

Anonymous Best weight gainer said ... (December 20, 2012 11:16 AM) : 

The article is very surprising to me! Your writing is good. In this I learned a lot! Thank you!

 

Blogger joyanto das said ... (April 17, 2013 12:43 PM) : 

Looks awesome. The picture is also good.

Please visit my website: http://www.efoodsdirect.com/

 

Anonymous EQUITY TIPS said ... (June 20, 2013 4:05 AM) : 

I’m impressed. Really educational and trustworthy weblog does precisely what it sets out to finish.

 

Anonymous SEO Expert said ... (March 13, 2014 5:55 AM) : 

Glad to read your post :). It is very informative!

 

Anonymous pagalworld said ... (May 26, 2014 5:22 AM) : 

Good covered point, But i think because know one sure how it will going to happen It looks like just coping ideas which someone has already written. Finally, an affair that I am amorous about and Your armpit is abundantly appreciated.

 

Anonymous pagalworld said ... (May 26, 2014 5:29 AM) : 

Thanks for providing this information because maintenance is very important.It is great post for me.Keep it up.

 

Anonymous ibogaine thailand said ... (June 16, 2014 1:52 AM) : 

Ibogaine is a non-addictive substance that doesn't need to be taken on a continuing basis. Many studies have shown that Ibogaine is a valuable aid in treating physical drug dependency and associated withdrawal symptoms.

 

Anonymous pagalworlds said ... (August 25, 2014 12:25 AM) : 

Music is the great source to release stress and have enjoyment in life taking a break from the regular tedious work schedule. The pagalworlds plays a vital role to reduce our stress because it offers various Bollywood songs like latest songs, yo yo honey singh songs, etc.

 

Anonymous pagalworld said ... (October 10, 2014 5:16 AM) : 

Humor is an inexpensive, yet priceless tool in your relationship tool box. You can regularly sharpen this tool from pagalworld by making surrounding happier through spreading funny jokes, Hindi jokes and listen to new Hindi songs, Honey Singh songs, 2014 Hindi mp3 songs and also download them.

 

post a comment